Are these the same fish? White tail kole tang?

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2020
Messages
1,092
Reaction score
518
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are these the same fish? I can’t find anything online. I know they are kole tangs with white tails. Do they darken as they age ?

36407F36-D15B-4E37-B249-599CAC1C382C.png 366FE8B3-CD37-4A9E-935F-8975F99B2A34.png
 
rare to see these but agree on same fish
 
Same fish... it is just different lighting/fash/stress ect...
Thank you. Weird how lighting can change it so much. Literally the back tail that’s white looks different. One clearly has a little yellow and the other completely white. Not to mention the body color difference.
 
Thanks I have one that clearly has a white tail but it looks much more like the lighter one. I don’t see any dark shade like the one in picture.
Age can play a part too. Many of these kole types are yellow when young. The yellow left on the tail is from juvi colors.
 
Are these the same fish? I can’t find anything online. I know they are kole tangs with white tails. Do they darken as they age ?

36407F36-D15B-4E37-B249-599CAC1C382C.png 366FE8B3-CD37-4A9E-935F-8975F99B2A34.png
They are the same fish, one is more washed out. This usually occurs due to stress from moving tank.
 
Age can play a part too. Many of these kole types are yellow when young. The yellow left on the tail is from juvi colors.
I’ve seen a couple of adult Flavicauda with yellow tails similar to that seen in the specimen above in my time in the LFS. It’s relatively 50/50 on getting a pure white tailed tang or a yellow tip white tailed.
 
I’ve seen a couple of adult Flavicauda with yellow tails similar to that seen in the specimen above in my time in the LFS. It’s relatively 50/50 on getting a pure white tailed tang or a yellow tip white tailed.
I wil say though, the tails were more so orange instead of bright yellow. And it was also rarer to find this “variant?” in comparison to finding a pure white tail.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 34.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 23 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new