Are you a bare bottom or sand bed reefer?

Are you a bare bottom or sand bed reefer?

• Bare bottom

Votes: 154 20.2%
  • Sand bed

Votes: 573 75.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 36 4.7%

• Total voters

Richsoar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand-- Never seen anything that looks like glass on the bottom of the ocean when I go Diving. I think of sand as a way to help anchor rock formations. Plus, many creatures like to dig and burrow into the substrate. I did have one of my 72s without any sand during a move, got pretty dirty quickly,

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20221224_080939.jpg

ABS plastic sheet textured side up sand beige. Easy to clean natural color and appearance

P.Janssen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone experimented with a novel alternative bottom, like maybe laying a full floor of marine pure tiles (better color and texture than glass, and with less trouble establishing a tank) - all at a price, and leaving a grid pattern that might not be attractive?
Or even a bolder experiment - how about applying a layer of something like the BSR mortar over something like the tiles, a then pressing a little sand into the surface?

Seems there should be an opportunity to provide something more aesthetically pleasing than glass while maybe providing some bio filter area, all while avoiding the “litter box” issue.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the Marco rock mortar and sand pushed into it for my 40g once. Just got dirty and tough to clean actually. I gave up and went bare bottom. I did try for almost a year.

payrawsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had bare bottom once. Wrasse did his normal thing where they sleep at night and release a bunch of mucus. Puffer had some spaghetti that night. Moral of the story is bare bottom limits your fish and invert choices quite a bit. If you're coral focused probably bare bottom is better in the long run. Easier to clean, and less sand blowing around everywhere is better for corals.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my nano tanks is sand bottom and another nano nothing .Starting to go towards bare bottom tanks in the future

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back