Are you a bare bottom or sand bed reefer?

Are you a bare bottom or sand bed reefer?

  • Bare bottom

    Votes: 156 20.4%
  • Sand bed

    Votes: 574 74.9%
  • Other (please explain)

    Votes: 36 4.7%

  • Total voters
    766

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
54,879
Reaction score
122,567
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wondering this morning about the bare bottom versus sand bed debate.

Unless I’ve missed it, I haven’t seen that much debate as of late. I see sand beds all the time but not many bare bottom tanks.

Are you a bare bottom or sand bed reefer?

image via @Roberto Denadai
FTS1.JPG
 
Last edited:
Sand bed, and I always will be. I have done all the variations of sand bed that I can think of and between you and me, I like what I have right now the most. I have about 1cm of sand throughout the tank with some areas as shallow as a few grains of sand. Rarely see the glass though.
 
Current tank is BB.......I like the look of sand better (when it is clean), but the ease of maintenance and higher flow means a healthier SPS tank.....for me anyways :)
 
I have always had a sand bed in my tanks but I've seen more and more bare bottoms recently. I love wrasses so it would be hard for me to have a tank without sand but I have thought about setting up an SPS dominate tank in the future and by having it barebottom you can really turn up the flow.

I have been following a fellow hobbyist on Instagram and watched his tank grow and turning a masterpiece. I can't find him on Reef2Reef but his Instagram is saarbrooklyn.reef (Peter Hilt). His bare bottom tank is spectacular.
IMG_6079.jpg

IMG_6080.jpg

IMG_6081.jpg
 
BB have their place and I had one with my seahorses. However for a mixed reef I love the natural look of sand and that is what I have now and probably will have going forward from here.
 
Sandbed but I want to remove half of it because I have too many bristleworms. I think the detritus will flow better into the sump and habitats for the worms will shrink by removing some of the sand/gravel.
 
I technically have both because my 125g Dt has a nice 4 in sand bed but my qt is bare bottom but if i was to choose i would always go with sand bed because i love how a sand bed looks however there is something cool about bare bottoms because you can do a drop off type of set up on a bare bottom and make like a trench with shelves for corals
 
I have always had a sand bed in my tanks but I've seen more and more bare bottoms recently. I love wrasses so it would be hard for me to have a tank without sand but I have thought about setting up an SPS dominate tank in the future and by having it barebottom you can really turn up the flow.

I have been following a fellow hobbyist on Instagram and watched his tank grow and turning a masterpiece. I can't find him on Reef2Reef but his Instagram is saarbrooklyn.reef (Peter Hilt). His bare bottom tank is spectacular.
IMG_6079.jpg

IMG_6080.jpg

IMG_6081.jpg
That’s a beautiful tank! But man I couldn’t handle keeping the bottom that clean and scraping lol.. looks awesome thou!
 
I've started 2 tanks bare bottom, 2 tanks with a sandbed, and the bare bottoms always take longer to get going due to all kinds of dino and bacteria blooms. One of the sandbed tanks was growing acros 3 months in. No rock either, just frag racks and a sandbed which started dry.
 
Just wondering this morning about the bare bottom versus sand bed debate.

Unless I’ve missed it, I haven’t seen that much debate as of late. I see sand beds all the time but not many bare bottom tanks.

Are you a bare bottom or sand bed reefer?

image via @Roberto Denadai
FTS1.JPG
Sand bed all the way, I don’t think I could have a reef tank without my sand sleeping Wrasses. They’re way too colourful and personable plus, they’re not aggressive unlike some of the other pest hunting wrasses in the family.
 
I like sand, the only thing I'm not a fan of are dunes from water currents. I do have a bare bottom 9g and it's fine, I have one large hermit in there and he struggles to walk around heh but it stays pretty clean on the bottom.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new