Are you a doodler?

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attention DiY's, I wanted to touch on something.. let's face it... if u decide to start a project and "wing" it, you typically end up in trouble...

Most know to plan. And by plan, I mean whipping out the closest perishable item you can draw on when u catch an idea or thought.

This typically accumulates over time. For me it does anyways.

Thought it would be fun to share your "doodles"

NO TECHNOLOGY ALLOWED.
PAPER AND PEN ONLY.

Old-schoolers unite!
Let's see those doodles!
20190318_095839.jpg

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attention DiY's, I wanted to touch on something.. let's face it... if u decide to start a project and "wing" it, you typically end up in trouble...

Most know to plan. And by plan, I mean whipping out the closest perishable item you can draw on when u catch an idea or thought.

This typically accumulates over time. For me it does anyways.

Thought it would be fun to share your "doodles"

NO TECHNOLOGY ALLOWED.
PAPER AND PEN ONLY.

Old-schoolers unite!
Let's see those doodles!
20190318_095839.jpg

Never sketched or doodled anything in my life. I'm not really good at drawing. Maybe now that I know all the basic parts I can try it next time. Will probably go with something technology based though.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never sketched or doodled anything in my life. I'm not really good at drawing. Maybe now that I know all the basic parts I can try it next time. Will probably go with something technology based though.

I did this on ms paint. But never used cad or 3D modeling.

FloatingCanopyFinal.png

But the doodles are what I'm after! Haha

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this on ms paint. But never used cad or 3D modeling.

FloatingCanopyFinal.png

But the doodles are what I'm after! Haha

Very nice. I'm not ver y handy so it takes me a while to figure out how things work. Have to try it first many times in order to understand it. This is my first go around and spent many hours researching how a sump works, how to mix salt, etc. I do plan on a bigger build in the future. Possibly a larger pennsiula build. Maybe I should start drawing it up now instead of the usual of just throwing everything together.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Occasionally... I might start brainstorming an idea with a scratch pad and pencil. Rarely. Even if I do, eventually, it gets moved to Inventor... or Sketchup, depending on what I'm working on. I'm wanting to do a woodworking project with my grandson... worked up a Sketchup model of a bird feeder. We'll probably build it one evening this week.

As for the other implication of a 'doodler'... Artistic, I'm not. Mom paints... and my youngest daughter is a very talented artist. I can't draw a straight line with a ruler.

One of my daughter's doodles :)
Tower.jpg

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I'm not ver y handy so it takes me a while to figure out how things work. Have to try it first many times in order to understand it. This is my first go around and spent many hours researching how a sump works, how to mix salt, etc. I do plan on a bigger build in the future. Possibly a larger pennsiula build. Maybe I should start drawing it up now instead of the usual of just throwing everything together.
Using some 3D software to (Try Google's SketchUp) plan an aquarium can work out well...

I did this in Sketchup...

And, a few months later... this in my living room

FTS_040118.jpg

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using some 3D software to (Try Google's SketchUp) plan an aquarium can work out well...

I did this in Sketchup...

FTS_040118.jpg

I'm going to try it. I'm in IT so I'm sure I can figure out the software. Never been particularly good at diagrams or anything graphics related but I think I'll be able to come up with something in time.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try it. I'm in IT so I'm sure I can figure out the software. Never been particularly good at diagrams or anything graphics related but I think I'll be able to come up with something in time.

Same here IT for most of my 50 years (Back then it was called MIS or just Tech). I can't use a 3d program worth anything. I have lucked up and done a couple thing right.

:)

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FTS_040118.jpg

Wow I love it.

And your daughter has some serious talent with a pen. Nice rendition of the Eiffel tower there for sure. I love the orientation and perspective she chose. As if you are lying beneathe it. Nice.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't drawn since college.....was supposed to be my major but ended up switching to IT. Fortunately my 12 year old got all my talents....this is one of her drawings of the dude from The Office that she just did for art class in school. I don't think I was that good in 7th grade lol.
john.jpg

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to build my 1st ever manifold...

20190305_122737-jpg.999546

20190305_125929-jpg.999570

20190306_140612-jpg.1000498

And ideas for my sump...
20190213_094041-jpg.976287

These sump ideas are scrapped for a MUCH better design. The actual sump runs from right to left instead of what you see above and it will have 2 pumps. 1 running the return and another running the manifold. The large fuge has been replaced with an algae reactor and the filter cup has been replaced with a ClariSea SK-5000 filter roller.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back