Are you new to the Chattanooga forum?

WesMeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but I'm stuck home with kids today. Really wish I could come. I 'll definatly try to make it to next one. Where in Ooltewah are you? My parents still live off Tallant Road. And the tangs are small and friendly. only about 3in at moment. The 29 gallon is actually just a temporary tank until I finish the either 80 or 100 gallon tank I'm building.(haven't decided on which size I prefer.)

Lear192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building my dream tank

Hello Everyone,

My name is David I live in Ringgold, Ga. I am currently starting up a new tank in my office in Dalton, Ga. I have
never had a salt water tank before. I have always had smaller 30-50 gallon fresh water tanks. I wanted to go big or go home so
I currentlly have a 84x30x30 acrylic tank I am setting up now. I will be going FOWLR for some time and plan on learning to growing
small frags in a section of one of my sumps. Tank is cycling now with 250 pounds of live rock and 140 pounds of live sand.
I would be interested in joining your club.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
ironman

ironman

CRC Whipping Boy (round 2)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome David. The club has been alittle slow lately but feel free to ask questions, and share your experiences with us!

Lear192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome guys. I have already done well with this site. I meet Bruce in Chatsworth today and got 150 LBS of
quality live rock for a great deal. Thanks again Bruce.

OP
OP
ironman

ironman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, tell us alittle about your setup

v8fla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current system is 40 gallon mixed reef, but the new system is just starting...
Tank 36x36x27.jpg

OP
OP
ironman

ironman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool looking tank! keep us posted as you get it going!

TJFitz1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this forum and lets say sorta kinda new to the hobby. I have for years kept a tank but always had help with it and I never truly taught myself the correct way to care for a tank.

Let me give you a little back ground of my current adventure. I purchased a beautiful 125 gallon reef ready custom 3 side aquarium. Had a large sump, metal halides etc. Well I used tap water and after the tornadoes last April the water quality has been terrible and I was plagued with GHA something terrible! I lost my mother months later and along with other changes in my life I feel had an effect on my losing all interest in the tank and I pretty much ignored it and only added water to it when the return pump would draw in air and I would top it off out of the annoyance of the noise!

with that said I am not starting over pretty much but I wanted to do so on a smaller scale. Here is my current setup mostly stripped from the 125 gal tank...
30 gallon standard tank
8" metal halide
Hang-on over flow box
Sealife System Pro Series Sump (32Lx12Wx18H)
Hydor Protein Skimmer 700DP (up to 185 gal heavy stock and 238 normal stock)
Hydor Koralia 1050 Circulation Pump
UV sterilizer
on order is a PhosBan Reactor 150

I am working towards a beautiful coral reef setup...but I am deathly afraid of hair algae! So instead of using the tap water I am only using distilled water. I took no water or sand from the 125 gal tank. I have all new live sand and water but...I did hard brush the live rock i kept...well I am starting to show signs of GHA. I want to be proactive and avoid any issues with this before it is out of control again. All my water testing level are right where they should be. I purchased a Algae Blenny, sally light foot and 10 hermits. I am considering a small foxface but I am worried being the are not completely reef compatible.

Any advise/opinions are welcome and needed! Please tell me if I need to add another or different type of filtration.

Thank you

thedandandandy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the hobby in the Chatt area

Hi all,

My name is Daniel and I am completely new to the hobby. I live in Cleveland, Tn and just now saw this thread about people in the area meeting up. I am using a very small 15 gallon tank as my first saltwater tank so I can learn and gain experience for bigger and better things. I have a small reef, which I just added green star polyps to. I have the tank stocked with two clowns, two bicolor Chromis, an emerald and several hermit crabs and an indigo dottyback. Possibly adding a gramma. Then I'll just tweak this tank and make it better and better with corals and plants.

My next endeavor will be to do a nano cube with a couple of small tomato clowns, an anemone for them and live rock with a few plants. Then it's off to a 100+ tank in the future.

OP
OP
ironman

ironman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome guys. The club has been slow lately but it's good to see new hobyst

thedandandandy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome, Ironman. I'm currently trying to find a webpage I once had saved with directions on co vetting a 5g Fluval Chi into a nano reef tank for some corals, plants and a pair or tomato clowns. Any idea as to when the next meeting will be? I'm interested to join.

OP
OP
ironman

ironman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like i said its been pretty slow, and we havent had any meetings this winter. There is also a east tennessee club that is active in the knoxville area.

SaltyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello CRC! My name is Dakota. Im starting back into the hobby after last years tornadoes downed some power lines and long story short, electrical surge and small fire shooting out from outlet, meant certain death to my surge "protector" lol, skimmer, lights, filter, pump, all livestock, etc! Thanks again epb! Anyway after a cpl moves and job changes, I have decided I'm settled enough to get back at it. This is my first forum/blog and Im excited to meet/chat with some local hobbyists. Since Im forced to start completely over I figured now would be the time to join to post and get some feedback/ideas on my entire process from beginning to...lets be honest once you start your first saltwater aquarium there is no end!!! :) I need a lot off the bat so if anyone has any equipment they are not using and wanna sell or something maybe you want to upgrade Im interested! Thanks in advance

Aaron Gustafson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to attend a Chattanooga r2r meeting. Can anyone tell me where and when the next meeting is? Thank you

Welcome! We haven’t met in quite some time. We should probably talk about meeting again soon. I’m traveling right now, but when I get back I’ll talk with Kelly about maybe hosting a get together in October.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back