Are you scared of getting a shock from water?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have replaced both of the outlets where my tank is now with GFCI outlets. So, nope.
And I specifically told my electrician that I DIDNT want GFCI for the tank. I’d rather a tiny bit of stray voltage in the tank than my return pump turn off and kill my tank

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I specifically told my electrician that I DIDNT want GFCI for the tank. I’d rather a tiny bit of stray voltage in the tank than my return pump turn off and kill my tank

The solution to this is to run your return off a non gfci. Not enough current to kill you (most likely) but you can still protect yourself from everything else. My return runs on a different breaker then everything else.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not scared whatsoever.

Are you scared when you are in a vehicle?

When swimming in the ocean?

When eating food?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The solution to this is to run your return off a non gfci. Not enough current to kill you (most likely) but you can still protect yourself from everything else. My return runs on a different breaker then everything else.
I already had a dedicated line run just for my tank. I’m not running another for the return pump.
Personally I run everything off a controller and keep an eye on how much power everything is using. No issues, no worries. Much cheaper than a second line

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m not worried about that. The return can run on battery back up and I have my apex setup to send me alerts if one of my eb8’s loses power.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not worried about that. The return can run on battery back up and I have my apex setup to send me alerts if one of my eb8’s loses power.
Exactly. But if you plug the apex into a GFCI it can turn the whole apex off making it useless

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. But if you plug the apex into a GFCI it can turn the whole apex off making it useless

Forgot to mention the main board is on back up as well. I have the apex classic and run them on a separate back up system.

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think not running GFCI is a fools folly.

I was recently treated to the joy of being the ground path for mains voltage on one of my frag systems. Thankfully the GFCI tripped and shut down power to my EB8. My whole arm was hurting afterwards.

I am so very thankful I have GFCI on all my systems.

This was the culprit.
3bc34f59f055f448d5b044a96acda83a.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scared? No. Do I like it? Not really. I have 4 separate circuits. GFI's and a ground probe. If the probe circuit trips, it will not shut off the return pump. Just the lights. I have only 3 / 120v wires going into the sump. That is for the water change pump and 2 heaters.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wear tennis shoes or crocks when working in my basement fishroom. I had my hands on a pump in a bucket I was cleaning and moved the faucet and holy moly did I get a shock. Another time I had a heater going bad and put my arm in three times before I realized it was electricity I was feeling, not hot water! Duh! I am now much more careful. I don't worry, I just have an awareness of the risk, and don't assume the equipment is working perfectly.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used an Apex with a single controllable power bar I made 4 units like the ones I have here. Two were for heaters, one for the skimmer, one for the return pump.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-gfci-installation.342874/

Plug the GFCI outlet into the power bar and then the device into the outlet.
You can see what are effectively 4 controllable GFCI outlet pairs that I used to use here.
IMG_0526.JPG

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used an Apex with a single controllable power bar I made 4 units like the ones I have here. Two were for heaters, one for the skimmer, one for the return pump.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-gfci-installation.342874/

Plug the GFCI outlet into the power bar and then the device into the outlet.
You can see what are effectively 4 controllable GFCI outlet pairs that I used to use here.
IMG_0526.JPG
This is interesting and I didn’t know you could do that. So you basically just added a GFCI in the middle of the line from the apex to the device?
Do you only run specific devices which are more likely to fail (like heater) on the GFCI or do you run everything for the tank off of them and the apex?

I knew a guy locally who installed all new GFCI outlets in his house and then a few weeks later had his tank crash cause they tripped and he didn’t get any notice for a couple days till he came home to find nothing running, which is my big fear.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting and I didn’t know you could do that. So you basically just added a GFCI in the middle of the line from the apex to the device?
Do you only run specific devices which are more likely to fail (like heater) on the GFCI or do you run everything for the tank off of them and the apex?

I knew a guy locally who installed all new GFCI outlets in his house and then a few weeks later had his tank crash cause they tripped and he didn’t get any notice for a couple days till he came home to find nothing running, which is my big fear.
I would never let a single GFCI risk crashing my system but I wouldn't run without a GFCI either. I've seen someone have a failed pump that leached so much copper into his system that it killed all his coral and he had to do a complete reset. So for me, if it is in the tank, it gets on GFCI. The reason I only needed the 4 of them is because I used MP-40's and the motor is outside the tank.
Now, I have a GHL controller with 3 power bars. Each power bar plugs into it's own GFCI and I have the loads split so a single bar won't crash my tank. For instance, my heaters are on a different power bar than my return pump since they are the most likely to fail. My Gyre's are on a different GFCI than my return pump so a single trip won't cause me to lose all flow.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on a mission to get as many voltage/current sources out of my tank and sump as I can. I generally don't submerge the heater heads and have moved mostly to vortechs. External magnet driven pumps help too. Still have a few sicce synchra buried on the sump.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back