arrg a big oops?

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I went and bought a mimic tang yesterday that is in QT right now. Also, I have a powder brown in another QT. Both awaiting entry into the new 120. So, I asked the guy at the LFS if they were both ancanthurus genus and he said no, they will get along fine. I couldn't remember if they were or not so I listened to him. Got home and checked and yeah, they are the same genus. So my question is, if I introduce them at the same time into the 120, will the get along? I know it depends on the individual sometimes but both fish are very calm seperately but I'm sure that could change. I can't take him back because I got him about 150 miles away. Thanks!

Last edited:

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, both in at the same time and with lights off. Are they the same size? If so, there is a better chance of a battle. If one is a good size bigger, the chance of the smaller one giving way to the larger one is pretty good. Good luck

OP
OP
mallorieGgator

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PB is a tad larger then the mimic. I don't want them to stress to death. I would rather trade someone for a fish or something then to have one possibly kill the other. I always introduce fish with lights out and maybe they will be ok with the other fish in the tank.

OP
OP
mallorieGgator

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to report that my PB and mimic get along great. They've been in together for almost a month and they get along like best friends. There is no aggression at all. The PB is quite a bit larger (probably about 4.5") than the mimic. No scalpels out either. Both are fat and happy with their supply of nori and red algae I feed them. They also get NLS pellets, frozen marine cuisine with Kent Zoe and garlic, as well as flake food. If anyone wants, I can post pictures.

OP
OP
mallorieGgator

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics!
267.jpg

268.jpg

250.jpg

251.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back