Ask Tony...the NARC photography thread.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one I took this weekend in Gatlinburg, TN any criticism is appreciated. Don't hold back I am a big boy and I can take it :) I am seriously trying to improve my techniques so I can take advantage of my camera in all the places that I travel for work.

IMG_2182_2247.jpg

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good Dave! How did you hold it still for 6 seconds to get that effect in the water? Did you have a tripod?

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah. A tripod is a MUST for that. LOL. As well as a prime lens and remote shutter release. Thank you for the compliment H@rry!

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my mom's Sony cyber-shot digital camera. It takes good pictures outdoors and stuff..
DSC02788.jpg

but when it comes to aquariums, it sucks.
DSC03798.jpg

DSC04343.jpg

What are some settings I could change and mess around with to make them look better?
Also a big problem is my reflection on the glass. Sometimes it shows and sometimes it doesn't.

Last edited:

Parkerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my mom's Sony cyber-shot digital camera. It takes good pictures outdoors and stuff..
DSC02788.jpg

but when it comes to aquariums, it sucks.
DSC03798.jpg

DSC04343.jpg

What are some settings I could change and mess around with to make them look better?
Also a big problem is my reflection on the glass. Sometimes it shows and sometimes it doesn't.

Do you have any more example shots of the less than desirable results?

Parkerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ one of the things that I can think of that might be causing some problems. You don't want to take pictures at an angle in the tank. Not at least through glass and water. It will distort your image and make it appear blurry.

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ one of the things that I can think of that might be causing some problems. You don't want to take pictures at an angle in the tank. Not at least through glass and water. It will distort your image and make it appear blurry.
Alright thanks! I'll just mess around with some settings and see what I can do.

markkazdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for color adjustment

Any possibility of adjusting the colors in a photo like this to get the crimson red of the coral banded shrimp to show? There are at least 3 problems to overcome:
1) it's taken with an iPhone 4S
2) it's in a Nano Cube 28 with the quad power compact bulb and under the back half of the bulb which is the "blue" half
3) The molted shell was up high in the light and the shrimp was down low in the shade.

Usually I would start by trying to adjust the levels, but the sand behind the shrimp is already overexposed and blown out. A lot of the critters seem to like this area in the back, at least during the day.

I scaled down the photo for posting, but I have the full size photo available if needed.

(Yes, there is an algae problem too.)

moltedshell_w.jpg

Parkerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a situation like that, you won't be able to have a balanced picture, as in you will have blown out spots.

With your iphone, you should have set the focus and exposure point directly on the shrimp, or on the rock itself. Then you could have possibly played with the colors some. The background would have been blown out but the exposure of your actual subject is what is more important.

From the way it looks right now, there isn't enough detail in the bands of it to actually appear red, that's due to the under exposure of it as well as the color temperature of the image.

There is a slight slight chance that some stuff could be recovered if you have a fill light option or a shadows/highlights option in the editing program you use.

Parkerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, there was enough detail then to pull some red out. I stand corrected... Haha.

*edit*
Also, I will have pictures up from the Chicago Shedd Aquarium sometime soon. I already have some on my website, but we went again about 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:

markkazdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I will try to learn how to set the exposure. I pressed my finger on the shrimp which seemed to help the focus, but not the exposure. H@rry, your improvements are good; what tool did you use?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%

Back