Asking for Opinions on the Red Sea Skimmers

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone !

I'd like to change my Bubble Magus NAC5 skimmer to a Red Sea RSK 300.
So I'm looking for opinions on the skimmer series.
System size: 55g (200l)
LPS-Softy orientated tank with 6 fish 1 large and 5 smaller
So the question is, that how did your RS skimmer perform ? Did it keep nutrients in check?

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has cursed me:I just cleanedy curve 5 and another plastic screw broke off.

I retract my above statements :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea skimmer 300 and it has not been working good for me. It is not skimming anything and there are no bubbles. I would look into a different one maybe reef octopus
I'm with other that have commented. The RS skimmers are a pain. Mine skims when it wants, loud and will overfill randomly. Ill never buy another skimmer unless it has a DC pump. I had a Tunze DC docline and it was awesome.
What aquarium size do you have ? How many fish ? Nutrient levels ?

Upvote 0

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the red sea skimmer. THe adjustment is pretty fine on it so you cant be heavy handed but i think it does a good job. Had a reef octo on my old tank and it was great too.

But truth be told if you are combating high nitrates and phos put the money towards an algae scrubber. This guarenteed will pull your nitr and phos right out. I use the clearwater 50 which is pricey but very well built and i have to dose nit and phos. Even with alot of fish and heavy feeding. Just remember you will have to dose in trace elements cuz it is gonna chew them up.

Upvote 0

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple local aquarists recommended to change the skimmer. One stated that they had bubble magus on multiple of their tanks, all of those suffered: constant coral deaths, high NO3 and PO4.
I have high nitrate levels (100 on salifert) hence the change.
As a reference I have this exact one:
1694416275516.png
While I can understand the sentiment of blaming the skimmer on these issues, I have never once seen factual evidence that a protein skimmer causing said issues. There's definitely more going on than just the skimmer to cause such problems.

Anyway, the skimmer you shared weren't bad skimmers. The only issues I've had with the older bubble magus ones were the pumps being problematic. Are you having issues with the pump itself or is it just the fact that you are dealing with high levels of nitrates etc? I would feel like more information would be helpful in this case, as chasing for a new skimmer might not get you the results you want.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Katze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can understand the sentiment of blaming the skimmer on these issues, I have never once seen factual evidence that a protein skimmer causing said issues. There's definitely more going on than just the skimmer to cause such problems.

Anyway, the skimmer you shared weren't bad skimmers. The only issues I've had with the older bubble magus ones were the pumps being problematic. Are you having issues with the pump itself or is it just the fact that you are dealing with high levels of nitrates etc? I would feel like more information would be helpful in this case, as chasing for a new skimmer might not get you the results you want.
So now I'm not sure that I want to change the skimmer, just to be sure I'll do one more 2x50% waterchange and see if nitrate rises because then it must be a filtration issue.
The pump seems to be running flawlessly.
In terms of nitrates, they were always +100 from the 1st month of cycleing to the 1st day of adding fish.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back