Asterina starfish disappearing?

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a loooot of these stars and they were good cleaners, but they just disappeared!?? Like just gone, invisible, to check this I put two in my empty QT and same thing, invisible, I'm sure nothing ate them my hermit crab are way to small

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterinas will sometimes come and go based on available nutrients. If there is nothing for them to eat, they will die off.
When there was 0 food, they were everywhere but now there's a ton of nutrients of them and they are just gone, they even survived my tank cycling

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When there was 0 food, they were everywhere but now there's a ton of nutrients of them and they are just gone, they even survived my tank cycling
Was there 0 food because it was all eaten by your horde of starfish, which in turned caused your starfish to die off....which then caused your food to replenish?

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there 0 food because it was all eaten by your horde of starfish, which in turned caused your starfish to die off....which then caused your food to replenish?
Phosphates were at 1 ppm and algae exploded, the starfish were still there and then disappeared

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated they self populate. I've gone from hundreds convering the glass to none visible. I have 4 tanks running and they come and go in all of the tanks at some point. I'm not a fan and remove them from the glass with a net. I don't see them as a danger but I do not consider them a useful cleaner. They do a very good job scratching glass when one gets between the glass and algae scraper.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterina stars certainly will wax/wane based on available food but having them disappear completely seems odd. Even a predator will require some time to go through a sizable population.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back