Asternina Starfish on Foxface

  • Thread starter Thread starter thewbell
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

thewbell

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 10, 2016
Messages
212
Reaction score
85
Location
Baton Rouge, LA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever seen an asternina starfish on the side of any of their fish? I have seen one on the side of my foxface a few times but have not been able to get a picture. They don't appear to be hurting the fish (at least that I can see) and usually fall off if he takes off fast. Is this something to worry about? If so, I'll have to go pick up a Harlequin shrimp ahead of schedule since I was waiting for my population to get a little higher first.
 
Fox face is probably picking at the algae areas where the the Asterina are present. I can think of no other reason.

Very very strange though.
 
Mine tends to sleep back in the rocks so I figure that's where he is picking them up. It was pretty alarming to see the first time and I'm glad to know it is nothing to be worried about. Thank you for the help.
 
Are you sure it's not an isopod?
 
Are you sure it's not an isopod?
My situation was definitely a starfish
ed58ea5e78df16ce023b79b598ca419a.jpg
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new