At a loss. What is this?

SoonerBerrios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the past week I've been dealing with what looks to me as dead algae. It's this white-grey almost ash like growth on my rock. About 3 weeks ago I eliminated a cyano problem with chemiclean and was very successful. I didn't dose the recommended amount and have done a 20% and two 10% water changes since then. Then I started noticing this growth (pictures to follow).

Can anyone help ID or have a solution? Trying to avoid taking out rock and brushing.

parameters
Nitrate: 2
Phosphate: 0
Alk: 9.8
Calc: 450
Mag: 1700 (buying new test kit, hasn't changed in months)
Ph: 8.1

Thank you all!

SoonerBerrios

APC_0044.jpg IMG_0368.JPG IMG_0369.JPG

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had that and I used a baster to get ride of most and then used my finger to loosen it. Most of it came right off. It seems to happen to me more as my tank ages. 3.5 years now.

OP
OP
S

SoonerBerrios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had that and I used a baster to get ride of most and then used my finger to loosen it. Most of it came right off. It seems to happen to me more as my tank ages. 3.5 years now.

Good to know that it happens to others and not something that is completely out of whack. Sounds like a little elbow grease may be needed this weekend during maintenance. I dig your avatar, I'm a big TOOL fan myself.

Back