ATI Essentials vs Triton or ...?

Will Milberger

Aggie Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving in about a month to a month and a half. I really like the "all in 1" type of chemistry maintenance, as I work mostly 6 days a week. When I reset up the aquarium, I would like to go to one of these methods. I also hate doing water changes. I have a 75 gallon aquarium and a 20 gallon sump.

1) Is any one more or less cost effective. Not that I am cheap, I just, yeah, I'm cheap.
2) Availability? I see BRS has one and Marine Depot has the other. Could this be a fad, as not a lot of places have this?
3) Quality? I know they are good with other stuff.
4) Is there another better player that I don't know about?
Will

OP
OP
Will Milberger

Will Milberger

Aggie Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. ATI, Triton, I think Red Sea. All have a system. I was trying to find out which one would be better for me.
Will

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll leave that to others, but I know folks get good results with many such "systems".

I didn't choose to use someones commercial system since there are potential issues, IMO, with all of them (that's not to say there are not issues with most husbandry techniques). :)

Reef Quest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI Essentials are a diluted version compared to Tritons concentrate but because of this ATI's is reported to get 30% more with ATI's in terms of strength than the Triton Core 7 thus lasting longer.
I like the fact that the ATI Essentials are diluted with RO water to 10 litres of each. By having a more dilute say 100ml dose per day of each you have far more forgiveness of the dosing pump. For example if you get an extra 0.5ml because of a calibration error it will be far more detrimental if you are only dosing 10ml on Triton Core vs 100ml with ATI, after all stability is key.

Neville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy Holmes-Farley, can you comment on any advantages or disadvantages to the Triton Method vs the ATI method? As far as I can see, the major difference is that Triton uses inorganic carbon, and ATI uses organic carbon... Triton claims the use of organic carbon can affect the nutrient stability of a reef aquarium system causing long term problems.... Do you have any thoughts or clarification on that?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ATI method? Their two part us certainly inorganic carbon (bicarbonate/carbonate).
Randy Holmes-Farley, can you comment on any advantages or disadvantages to the Triton Method vs the ATI method? As far as I can see, the major difference is that Triton uses inorganic carbon, and ATI uses organic carbon... Triton claims the use of organic carbon can affect the nutrient stability of a reef aquarium system causing long term problems.... Do you have any thoughts or clarification on that?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I don’t like to leave my dosing to a company that puts their own ratios of elements in 1 or 3 bottles.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI Essentials are a diluted version compared to Tritons concentrate but because of this ATI's is reported to get 30% more with ATI's in terms of strength than the Triton Core 7 thus lasting longer.
I like the fact that the ATI Essentials are diluted with RO water to 10 litres of each. By having a more dilute say 100ml dose per day of each you have far more forgiveness of the dosing pump. For example if you get an extra 0.5ml because of a calibration error it will be far more detrimental if you are only dosing 10ml on Triton Core vs 100ml with ATI, after all stability is key.

Triton’s Core7 is without a doubt one of the strongest on the market.

Neville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ATI method? Their two part us certainly inorganic carbon (bicarbonate/carbonate).
This is copied and pasted directly from ATI North America blog (https://www.atinorthamerica.com/blo...-core7-a-comparison-of-the-2-dosing-products/)

Alkalinity Source:​

• Triton Core7 Triton Method: Inorganic Carbon Source – This means the alkalinity in the bottle is immediately available for coral consumption and does not require biological action to become available. Once the product is used in the reef it is readily available.
  • ATI Essential Pro: Organic Carbon Source – This means it requires biological action to make the alkalinity available to the corals to consume. This slows the availability of alkalinity.
And the comment by Triton Core7 (from Julian@triton) regarding the dangers with inorganic carbon comes from a thread in this forum (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dangerous-misinformation.828555/)

"Core7 DOES NOT contain any organic carbon. Products using organic carbon to boost alkalinity can effect the nutrient stability causing serious long term problems in reef aquaria."

Neville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way... I re-posted this question with a couple of others in your Reef Chemistry forum... I thought that was what the link was for in your answer (I didn't initially see your replying question). Sorry about that! :D

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I responded to the other thread. I’m skeptical it really contains organic alkalinity, but I ask them here:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back