ATI results back, sources of vanadium?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More black sand vanadium blues!
To remove the metal, water changes as Robin mentions and some combination of polyfilter, triton detox, gfo, and/or cuprisorb.
I kept my black sand but removed vanadium aggressively, and after some months, my vanadium level dropped to near normal, and has remained there.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To remove the metal, water changes as Robin mentions and some combination of polyfilter, triton detox, gfo, and/or cuprisorb.
I kept my black sand but removed vanadium aggressively, and after some months, my vanadium level dropped to near normal, and has remained there.
Well I guess if you want black sand prepare to cure it
Hey did DD go to black sand ? Someone switched

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my ATI ICP test results and I have extremely high vanadium and nickel. What could possibly be the cause of these metals in the tank, specifically vanadium. I am unable to keep SPS alive for more than a few weeks before they completely STN. All magnets, pumps and powerheads have been disassembled and inspected multiple times.

ATI test results
I see two sorces. Pumps for being magnetic,foods fed, but sands gotta b culpritWhat brand foods fed? Thx
20190928_174505.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see two sorces. Pumps for being magnetic,foods fed, but sands gotta b culpritWhat brand foods fed? Thx
20190928_174505.jpg
This issue was resolved long ago by electron microscope. It determined that the sand did in fact have large amounts of nickel included and some trace amounts of vanadium. Most of the vanadium had already dissolved into the water column when testing took place.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess if you want black sand prepare to cure it
Hey did DD go to black sand ? Someone switched
I've seen DD use black sand for a while now for contrast on their coral photos. It appears to be the Hawaiian black sand or maybe the indo mixed sand. Either one is safer than the fine grain pure black sands Caribsea was selling, but not a guarantee.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was telling my story to the guy at the lfs and he said that he wondered why they had discontinued it. They sell the other types but have discontinued the black one.
I read somewhere they discontinued it because it had a reputation of killing fish. Mostly freshwater. Im not sure if salt water fish are more resilient because of the differentiation in osmoregulation or what. I did have a few unexplainable fish deaths tho.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen DD use black sand for a while now for contrast on their coral photos. It appears to be the Hawaiian black sand or maybe the indo mixed sand. Either one is safer than the fine grain pure black sands Caribsea was selling, but not a guarantee.
I had the issue with the Hawaiian. I wouldn't use any black sand again. The safety depends on the chemical composition, and that can be variable within a few feet of where they get it.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuprisorb removed both the Vanadium and Nickel from my black sand disaster. And quicky.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back