ATI T5

MichaelP121579

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My ATI T5 Dimmable fixture is over heating and causing light to go into protection mode. It is hanging inside of a canopy 7" above water and 7" below the top of canopy. Any suggestions on a type of fan to keep inside of canopy. I will upload a couple of pictures shortly

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clip on desktop type fan would help. You may half to add some vents to the canopy or open the top of the canopy.

Can you run the unit outside of the canopy, to make sure it is a canopy issue?

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a canopy I used cheap 120mm computer fans to blow across the lights. I had 4 on one side and 4 on the other to create airflow moving through the canopy (specifically pointed at the end caps of the T5 tubes rather than just blowing in. At the cheap price point of those fans it's really hard to beat. Not to mention the 120 mm have been a computer standard for awhile now, so if/when they do break, it won't be hard to track down a replacement.

You'll also need to get an AC to DC adaptor.

I did something like this.

Fans
Power adaptor
Variable speed adjuster

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had issues with the ATIT5 lighting when the power goes out and it resets the fan settings and their voltage. Google or YouTube how to reset the fan voltage on the fixture. For some reason they reset to a negative voltage on the fans and it needs to be reset so that the unit is actually supplying power to the fans when the temperature starts rising.

Also, if that is the issue, the voltage will be something like -691 V. Obviously go up on the controls instead of going all the way through 600 numbers to get back to a minimum voltage of 6 V and a maximum voltage of 10.0 V. If it is a dimmable fixture and you sent the max voltage above 10 V, it will not work properly. It needs to be at a maximum voltage of 10.0 or below. I think mine is set to 9.6 V is the maximum.

edit:
If the above is not the issue, I would suggest drilling a hole the diameter of a small computer fan directly above the fans on the unit, in the top of the canopy. One fan is probably enough but it wouldn’t hurt to put two in there to blow fresh, cool air into the canopy to help with cooling.

Last edited:
Back