ATI Test results in - First time using ATI vs Triton ICP - Nitrate question........

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time using ATI vs Triton ICP - Nitrate question........

Has there been a known error with ATI Nitrate results. My reef runs 3-4 ppm of NO3 consistently for the last 2 or so years. I test with ReefBot, Nyos, Salifert, and Red Sea.
The results are always right at 3 - 4 ppm. My results from ATI came back at 49.69 mg/l or 49.69 ppm.

Just looking for some insight on if this is common.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The nitrate measured with an 'ICP test' - is not really measured with ICP. Its another chemical test. Whether its more accurate or less accurate than a hobby test IDK. I would suggest you get a third test - which hopefully will verify 1 or the other. (I know you said you have used multiple tests - but I mean - do 2 simultaneous tests on your water - if they agree I would not put as much weight on the ATI test)

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrate measured with an 'ICP test' - is not really measured with ICP. Its another chemical test. Whether its more accurate or less accurate than a hobby test IDK. I would suggest you get a third test - which hopefully will verify 1 or the other. (I know you said you have used multiple tests - but I mean - do 2 simultaneous tests on your water - if they agree I would not put as much weight on the ATI test)
3 Simultaneous test all recorded 3,3, & 4 Salifert, Redsea, Nyos....... Reefbot did not test water NO3 that day.
I would assume I just throw this number(NO3) out especially since its not part of the normal ICP test, and then assume all other numbers are correct from the test ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard that there is a problem with the ATI nitrate result, nor do I know how they measure it, but mistakes happen to everyone.
Thanks for the input Randy, looks like they test another way, not ICP for nitrate, so I guess I'll ignore that test and assume the ICP tests are somewhat accurate.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my system being 850 gallons, looking for advice on the best sources for quality additives that may be a little more cost effective. Any advice would be very welcomed !!

Following ATI supplements should be applied in order to provide a stable water quality:
  • Molybdän supplement per day 72.40 ml for 2 days
  • Vanadium supplement per day 11.39 ml for 2 days
  • Zink supplement per day 30.36 ml for 1 day
  • Mangan supplement per day 15.18 ml for 1 day
  • Iod supplement per day 4.73 ml for 3 days
  • Fluor supplement per day 329.6 ml for 3 days

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard that there is a problem with the ATI nitrate result, nor do I know how they measure it, but mistakes happen to everyone.
Randy, here is ATI's response, thought I would ask your input and thoughts on this statement about Nitrite interfering and nitrate home test kits.....See here the ATI response.

Good evening,

We measure nitrate with the IC and not with the ICP. The advantage of the IC measurement is that there is no influence of existing nitrite on the determination of nitrate. This is a problem with the tests that you can perform at home.

Tell me the analysis ID or the barcode and I will perform an analysis of the reset sample tomorrow in the course of the day (provided that the analysis was not longer than 7 days ago).

Best reagrds,

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What they say certainly makes sense. IC (ion chromatography) is a good way to measure nitrate without any nitrite interference.

Let's see what a retest shows.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What they say certainly makes sense. IC (ion chromatography) is a good way to measure nitrate without any nitrite interference.

Randy,

ATI's response

I just received the result from the IC for your nitrate value. It was confirmed. Attached you will find a picture of your measurement (yellow) compared to the control (black line) running directly before your sample (10 mg/l nitrate). It is clearly visible that it must be a higher value than 10 mg/l.

It is conceivable that you sent us the water sample after feeding.
Do you have the possibility to check your test with a reference at home?

Best regards,

Attachments

• IMG_20220209_115713.jpg
    IMG_20220209_115713.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 45

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Randy,

ATI's response

I just received the result from the IC for your nitrate value. It was confirmed. Attached you will find a picture of your measurement (yellow) compared to the control (black line) running directly before your sample (10 mg/l nitrate). It is clearly visible that it must be a higher value than 10 mg/l.

It is conceivable that you sent us the water sample after feeding.
Do you have the possibility to check your test with a reference at home?

Best regards,
Interesting - to me this doesnt make complete sense (the question about feeding) - since I assume you feed every day - and I doubt nitrate is produced immediately after feeding. But anyway - to me (the top of the graph is cut off) - but I don't see how it could be 40+ as they originally reported (correct?) since the 2 curves almost match. It looks like 10 to me.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With my system being 850 gallons, looking for advice on the best sources for quality additives that may be a little more cost effective. Any advice would be very welcomed !!

Following ATI supplements should be applied in order to provide a stable water quality:
  • Molybdän supplement per day 72.40 ml for 2 days
  • Vanadium supplement per day 11.39 ml for 2 days
  • Zink supplement per day 30.36 ml for 1 day
  • Mangan supplement per day 15.18 ml for 1 day
  • Iod supplement per day 4.73 ml for 3 days
  • Fluor supplement per day 329.6 ml for 3 days
Reef Moonshiners

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy, they ran a manual test also....... Going to assume sample was contaminated or something else and resend once I make my ATI reccomendations of element additions per test results. Some of my important trace elements were pretty low, so I will get those up with dosing as directed and send in another report in about 2 weeks. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for your input on this.

Attachments

• IMG_20220210_121724.jpg
    IMG_20220210_121724.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 41

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back