ATL Nuvo 40G

PAreefer710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which like I said - not completely sure what my tank is telling me. Corals are flourishing, fish and inverts are happy, params are where I want them, but the sand is red ridden with cyano. Don’t plan on doing anything for the next few weeks, just watch things stabilize again and keep up with water changes. But if it doesn’t go away then, I’m lost.
I would try upping flow a bit. And see how it is from. Try relocating the power heads even?

OP
OP
thegrimreefer

thegrimreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am cranking flow, too much more and I will have to have an sps dominant tank lol. I do think I can dial in it more however, maybe eliminate dead spots or do deeper cleanings of those areas. I am wondering if I have a bacterial competition right now, never really had any bad algae issues just bacterial - the occasional cyano outbreak in the sand bed. It is never really on the live rock (which was seeded from a previous aquarium running 10+ years) which makes me think the system didn't need more bacteria within the sand, leaving it to cyanobacteria to take over when I was overdoing things like aminos and reef roids when first starting out. This cultivated the cyano population in the sand as I figured out my flow, lighting, etc...48 hours after the 20% water change removing the chemiclean and my NO3 and PO4 is unchanged really, but the cyano is back.

My skimmer was back online producing a light skim so I wanted to leave it running after the WC. However - I am aware chemiclean can potentially damage beneficial bacteria populations, so I have been adding 20ml Seed everyday to try and replenish my "good" bacteria populations, and have turned the skimmer off as it will remove the newly introduced population.

I'm curious to know if anyone knows more about this, and if I need to be concerned about diversifying the bacteria populations within the sand bed, or if the system works as a whole and the nitrifying bacteria, etc. would be outcompeting the cyano if in greater populations regardless of "location". If this isn't true, would having pockets of detritus build up cause cyano to stem from those locations?

@DrTim maybe some help here?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back