Atlantic Palolo Worm?

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think an atlantic palolo worm (Eunice fucata) came in on my KP aquatics rock. I don't have a photo or video right now, but I'll try to get one in a bit. I'm pretty sure it's a palolo. It's about the size of a bristle worm, but it has zebra tentacles on it's head, an obvious eye, and cricket-like head-shape and mouth. There's really not a lot of information about them online (apart from the fact that they make great tarpon bait). There's significantly more information about the pacific palolo (Eunice viridis). What I have read about them seems to indicate that they are 10-20 cm and only algae eaters? I can pull it out, but I don't want to if it's just going to eat algae. Does anyone have more information on these guys?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what (limited) information I could find, these may be predatory once they become large (up to 40cm!) I'm sure one of the resident worm experts can weigh-in, but anything that has teeth and gets to be almost a half meter in length doesn't exactly sound reef-safe...

OP
OP
Z

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what (limited) information I could find, these may be predatory once they become large (up to 40cm!) I'm sure one of the resident worm experts can weigh-in, but anything that has teeth and gets to be almost a half meter in length doesn't exactly sound reef-safe...
Do you have a source for the 40cm length? I found a few old scientific papers on Eunice furcata and they all suggested a max size of 10-20cm. 20 cm is still really dang long though. This is a 12 gallon tank.

Good point about the size. If they get 40cm long I imagine they would just eat anything they can fit in their mouth.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a source for the 40cm length? I found a few old scientific papers on Eunice furcata and they all suggested a max size of 10-20cm. 20 cm is still really dang long though. This is a 12 gallon tank.

Good point about the size. If they get 40cm long I imagine they would just eat anything they can fit in their mouth.
If we're talking about the same worm (which I'm going off based on your assessment), yes - they can get to 40cm in length. For a 12-gallon tank, yeah - I'd re-home it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back