ATM Colony cycling not working

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on Sunday morning I added the recommended dose of ATM Colony for my tank which has crushed coral sub and old dry rock which went through a die off 6months ago and was washed and dried and kept in buckets.

Monday I added ammonia to raise the level from 1ppm to 2ppm as recommended.

4days on ammonia has not decreased
Nitrite is 0.25ppm and nitrate roughly 0.20ppm

Why is this taking so long, should I do a partial water change or put my skimmer on?
Really frustrating as I feel I have wasted my money by choosing ATM over Dr Tim's

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ride it out is my opinion. I I used Dr. Tims and threw in a shrimp in a 100 gallon for one of my tanks. Was the first time I had ever used bottled bacteria. I usually just do the shrimp. My experience was the same as yours as far as days in. Eventually ammonia dropped and nitrates. Was about 2 weeks or so.

OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ride it out is my opinion. I I used Dr. Tims and threw in a shrimp in a 100 gallon for one of my tanks. Was the first time I had ever used bottled bacteria. I usually just do the shrimp. My experience was the same as yours as far as days in. Eventually ammonia dropped and nitrates. Was about 2 weeks or so.
Pretty disheartening isn't it.. so yous wouldnt do a PWC or turn skimmer on?

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think a water change or skimming at this stage will be anything but detrimental.
I assume that the Colony was in date, of correct quantity and was well shaken?

OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think a water change or skimming at this stage will be anything but detrimental.
I assume that the Colony was in date, of correct quantity and was well shaken?
Yes yes and yes haha Colony's instructions state water changes allowed on day 4 If necessary

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty disheartening isn't it.. so yous wouldnt do a PWC or turn skimmer on?
I've always let the initial cycyle run 4 weeks before doing anything honestly. Then I would do a 50% water change and add a couple of hardy fish first. I think many hobbyists today get caught up in bottles of "stuff". I did it to try. There is value I think in bottled bacteria but patience I've learned is the key.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monday I added ammonia to raise the level from 1ppm to 2ppm as recommended.

4days on ammonia has not decreased
Nitrite is 0.25ppm and nitrate roughly 0.20ppm

Why is this taking so long, should I do a partial water change or put my skimmer on?
Seeing ammonia drop can be slow at first if the bacterial population is low, but Nitrite positive tells you cycling is happening, just slowly right now.
Skimmer or water changes are fine.

Back