ATO Float shut off switch

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 7, 2019
Messages
3,832
Reaction score
1,795
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some of you saw my post that my Tunze ATO failed and dumped an entire 5G bucket of Kalk/Rodi into the tank.

Now I am looking for a float switch where I can set my desired water level and if it reaches by accidental it will shut off the ATO unit.

please let me know what you’re using
 
I'm using the apex atk. 2 optical sensors and manual float valve. And a line in the program, if it runs more than 5 minutes then it turns off. It takes more than 5 minutes for the water level to even get to the second sensor.
 
I'm using the apex atk. 2 optical sensors and manual float valve. And a line in the program, if it runs more than 5 minutes then it turns off. It takes more than 5 minutes for the water level to even get to the second sensor.
I don’t have apex so others options/advices are welcome
 
Gravity feed is your answer if you don’t want to mess with an electrical device.

In saying that your fail is very rare. The Tunze 3155 is very reliable.
 
my Tunze is not reliable. This is the second time it had happened.

again, I need something that can shut the Tunze when the water is too high.
 
I need something like this but I want it to turn the Tunze “off” when the water leve is too high.

this switch and all I found are to turn them “on”.
 

Attachments

  • 8D9C9E7D-D6B9-43D1-9C82-2F3F77B1816E.png
    8D9C9E7D-D6B9-43D1-9C82-2F3F77B1816E.png
    172.3 KB · Views: 69
Doesn't the float and or the optical sensor shut off the pump ? So 2 fail safes failed?
The ato comes with the sensor but obviously it failed. Reason why I want a float switch is to get a second insurance on it.

the secondary sensor will shut the Tunze off after 10 mins……that’s way longer I wanted. 10 mins that’s prob 3g of my kalk mixed into the bucket
 
Last edited:
The ato comes with the sensor but obviously it failed. Reason why I want a float switch is to get a second insurance on it.

the secondary sensor will shut the Tunze off after 10 mins……that’s way longer I wanted. 10 mins that’s prob 3g of my kalk mixed into the bucket
Ok I was under the impression you were using the tunze 3155 is that not what your using?
 
Ok I was under the impression you were using the tunze 3155 is that not what your using?
Yeah it’s the 3155 Tunze.
Ok I was under the impression you were using the tunze 3155 is that not what your using?
The 3155 will supposedly shut the unit down after 10 mins! But according to a lot reefers, it doesn’t. And to me even tho it does, 10 mins is tooooooo long.

and that’s why I am looking for something to shut the Tunze off if it’s overfilled my sump.
 
The ato comes with the sensor but obviously it failed. Reason why I want a float switch is to get a second insurance on it.

the secondary sensor will shut the Tunze off after 10 mins……that’s way longer I wanted. 10 mins that’s prob 3g of my kalk mixed into the bucket
My tunze ato has a optical sensor and a float switch? If the optical sensor were to not work the float switch shuts it off. Also has a timer if it runs too long will shut off so 3 layers of protection
 
The ato comes with the sensor but obviously it failed. Reason why I want a float switch is to get a second insurance on it.

the secondary sensor will shut the Tunze off after 10 mins……that’s way longer I wanted. 10 mins that’s prob 3g of my kalk mixed into the bucket
See it has a float switch with it.
 

Attachments

  • 46578D2B-9D94-434D-8F27-17170EAA403F.png
    46578D2B-9D94-434D-8F27-17170EAA403F.png
    409.9 KB · Views: 56
My tunze ato has a optical sensor and a float switch? If the optical sensor were to not work the float switch shuts it off. Also has a timer if it runs too long will shut off so 3 layers of protection
Both of mine too..and what I didn't understand
 
See it has a float switch with it.
It does BUT IT FAILED! The pump continues to pump and it doesn’t stop pumping till 10 minutes. The worse part is that a lot of users experienced it didn’t even stop even after 10 minutes.

And that’s the reason I am looking for a separate float switch to add a second insurance
 
It does BUT IT FAILED! The pump continues to pump and it doesn’t stop pumping till 10 minutes. The worse part is that a lot of users experienced it didn’t even stop even after 10 minutes.

And that’s the reason I am looking for a separate float switch to add a second insurance

That is some bad luck to have three layers fail.
 
So you’re wanting a float valve to mechanically stop the flow of water? Or just a separate float valve that activates an electronic switch turning off the pump?
 
Is the tunez 12 volts? The Prism ATO, has an Optical Sensor. You could use it’s Sensor as a back up Sensor/ Shutoff.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new