ATO Pump recommendation

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I'm not totally happy with my TOM Aqua lifter as my ATO pump. The problem is the lift required from the reservoir to the top of the display tank. I have a JBJ 45 and inside the stand I have a 5 gallon reservoir of RO/DI water. The Aqua lifter can barely lift the water. Frankly, it's drip, drip, drip.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a better pump? I'm fine with using a submersible pump rather than an aqua lifter. It doesn't need to be super strong just strong enough to lift the water about 50 to 60 inches high.
Thanks for your time to reply.
-gene

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I'm not totally happy with my TOM Aqua lifter as my ATO pump. The problem is the lift required from the reservoir to the top of the display tank. I have a JBJ 45 and inside the stand I have a 5 gallon reservoir of RO/DI water. The Aqua lifter can barely lift the water. Frankly, it's drip, drip, drip.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a better pump? I'm fine with using a submersible pump rather than an aqua lifter. It doesn't need to be super strong just strong enough to lift the water about 50 to 60 inches high.
Thanks for your time to reply.
-gene
I love that pump and also have the same issue as u. I ended up adding solenoid it fixed the issue.
At first I used apex solenoid connected to fmm...big mistake, it almost caused me a disaster cause fmm kept locking and either opening the solniod or locking it indefinitely.
So I ended up buying reliable solenoid and had its power supply connected to the same outlet of the ato so when ATO is on, solenoid is on and visa vesra.

OP
OP
McGene

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on a quick google search I think this only works with a Neptune system. It doesn’t look like it has a standard ac plug. To bad for me.

fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on a quick google search I think this only works with a Neptune system. It doesn’t look like it has a standard ac plug. To bad for me.
It comes in both forms. look on line at bulk reef supply. They have both.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s hope the V2 is an improvement over the original “disposable” PMUP.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of these... but the older version, purchased here in the for sale forum

Works like a champ!

OP
OP
McGene

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a spare MaxiJet (600) -- decided to try it and it works beautifully. No need to spend more money! Can't believe the thing pushes water 60" with no problem.

OP
OP
McGene

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops one issue. The pump is loud. Not sure if it’s because I’ve reduced the hose size and it’s a bit restrictive compared to the original size.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back