ATO Recommendations 25 gal

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I know these get posted a lot but I want to look in to a ATO cause I am sick of topping off but I am also worried about failure of said ATO. So I've done a lot of research and know the Tunze 5155 is kind of the gold standard but $200 seems like a lot of money for an ATO for such a small system. I've read some super bad reviews about the tunze nano so I was thinking about either the new duetto ATO or the smart ATO micro. Any thoughts on which to choose? Any other recommendations?

OP
OP
clown and friends

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a redundant electronic float switch from http://autotopoff.com/Standard/index.html.

Rock solid for decades. If you go this route, you will need a small pump and reservoir.
Wow that looks awesome, I am a little confused by the failsafe, if the water hits the top one will it shut the pump off? I am assuming if this is the case it is to keep the ATO from overflowing the tank which is my nightmare. Am I understanding it correctly?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that looks awesome, I am a little confused by the failsafe, if the water hits the top one will it shut the pump off? I am assuming if this is the case it is to keep the ATO from overflowing the tank which is my nightmare. Am I understanding it correctly?

Yes, the "double" units have the extra float just in case the ATO fails on, it will shut off and keep it from overflowing. Very nice feature. It's the one I use. It's never failed "on" for me. Always consistent. For the price, they are a great value and very robust.
They do come with snail guards for the main float. I try to clean mine every 3-6 months in some vinegar water to keep it clean.

I sound like a salesman for them, but no, just a very satisfied customer! Flipper approved. :)

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been planning on getting the float switch for my skimmer to keep it from overflowing. Rarely does this, for the money it would be a nice back up.

OP
OP
clown and friends

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the "double" units have the extra float just in case the ATO fails on, it will shut off and keep it from overflowing. Very nice feature. It's the one I use. It's never failed "on" for me. Always consistent. For the price, they are a great value and very robust.
They do come with snail guards for the main float. I try to clean mine every 3-6 months in some vinegar water to keep it clean.

I sound like a salesman for them, but no, just a very satisfied customer! Flipper approved. :)
Wow, you have officially convinced me. Its also nice to hear this from a very experienced reefer like yourself! Thank you for alerting me to this option, just saved me some $$$ :)

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you have officially convinced me. Its also nice to hear this from a very experienced reefer like yourself! Thank you for alerting me to this option, just saved me some $$$ :)

Your welcome! Yeah, not many people know of them. They have been around for a long time. Let me know how it works out for you. Just a side note, I'd get the one with the bracket, there's multiple holes for the float. If this is mounted in the DT and you have a lot of flow near it, it may kick on and off a lot. I have have a lot of flow around mine and it's stable.

IMG_20190307_202100.jpg

IMG_20190307_202128.jpg

OP
OP
clown and friends

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your welcome! Yeah, not many people know of them. They have been around for a long time. Let me know how it works out for you. Just a side note, I'd get the one with the bracket, there's multiple holes for the float. If this is mounted in the DT and you have a lot of flow near it, it may kick on and off a lot. I have have a lot of flow around mine and it's stable.

IMG_20190307_202100.jpg

IMG_20190307_202128.jpg
I will reply in a few weeks and give my thoughts! I ordered the dual sensor with the full bracket. According to their FAQ's I should have room in the return chamber of my AIO (the lowest point of my water with the least flow) for the system.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had issues with multiple Tunze 3152 Nanos so I decided to switch to the AquaXP Duetto and have been pleased since the switch 2 months ago.

1EA33A91-8352-4FC4-BE7D-B75B016079B8.jpeg

3B215DCF-4853-4872-97A5-59F7D8AF95B3.jpeg

OP
OP
clown and friends

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2148382C-6654-4D75-BD11-95422500B57B.jpeg
The ATO from autotopoff.com is up and running! Working great so far. Fits well even in the back of my little biocube 16! Will keep updated in a few months with opionions, for now I need to find a more permanent reservoir than the red bowl lol

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back