Tunze Osmolator 3155 vs Osmolator 3 ATO

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a reliable and redundant ATO for the IM Nuvo 15 I am building. I have never had an issue with the Tunze ATOs, minus the pump noise, but with the new Osmolator 3 being released I was wondering if it is worth getting that or should I stick with the reliable 3155?

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of being an early adopter of products, even from great companies. Imo, if you need the ato now go with the older version. If you can, I would hold off a few more months to see some longer reviews of the latest iteration.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The new version all the way. It’s been thoroughly vetted and tested for a very long time. Covid screwed up release. The new pump is way quieter from what I’m told as well

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the older Tunze top off for 20 years. The pumps do suck but I became used to the audible operation as an assurance that it's working, that and the display box with water level lights.

I have the tune ATO 3 on my new 200. I don't know what to think. It requires blind faith in tunze. There is no more display box with water level lights. The pump is silent and appears stronger which is awesome. There is no more separate manual high water float switch. I even think that is ok since there is a high level optical switch. My real confusion is that the water level sensor appears to have a 'smart' operation. It won't top off right away with deliberate, quick water level fluctuations. I noticed this happen a few times when I adjusted the "bean" overflow and water level changed a gallon or 2, or just a random sump level change for whatever reason. Maybe it's a built in Saftey or something, but I don't want this feature if it is. It eventually does top off, but Im not sure at what point, and it allows my sump to run low for a period of time.

I would sooner go with a 3155 and get the newer style pump to operate it. I'm probably going to end up switching back myself.

IMG_2468.jpeg

OP
OP
TacticalReef

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of being an early adopter of products, even from great companies. Imo, if you need the ato now go with the older version. If you can, I would hold off a few more months to see some longer reviews of the latest iteration.
This was kind of my concern. I have an old AutoAqua Smart ATO in storage I could use for a bit if needed.

OP
OP
TacticalReef

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new version all the way. It’s been thoroughly vetted and tested for a very long time. Covid screwed up release. The new pump is way quieter from what I’m told as well
I remember seeing and hearing about a new ATO coming for awhile. I think its the lack of multiple redundancies that is making me think twice. I know it has that second IR sensor but something about the physical float switch in the 3155 makes me breathe a little easier haha. I am sure it is a quality product just hard to find reefers personal experience with it.

OP
OP
TacticalReef

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the older Tunze top off for 20 years. The pumps do suck but I became used to the audible operation as an assurance that it's working, that and the display box with water level lights.

I have the tune ATO 3 on my new 200. I don't know what to think. It requires blind faith in tunze. There is no more display box with water level lights. The pump is silent and appears stronger which is awesome. There is no more separate manual high water float switch. I even think that is ok since there is a high level optical switch. My real confusion is that the water level sensor appears to have a 'smart' operation. It won't top off right away with deliberate, quick water level fluctuations. I noticed this happen a few times when I adjusted the "bean" overflow and water level changed a gallon or 2, or just a random sump level change for whatever reason. Maybe it's a built in Saftey or something, but I don't want this feature if it is. It eventually does top off, but Im not sure at what point, and it allows my sump to run low for a period of time.

I would sooner go with a 3155 and get the newer style pump to operate it. I'm probably going to end up switching back myself.

IMG_2468.jpeg

Thanks for sharing all of this.

The strength of the pump was also a concern of mine. I wonder if it is too strong for a nano reef or AIO build. I also heard there is a pro or deluxe version of the ATO coming out eventually that will add extra notifications and safety alerts so maybe it will also allow for enable/disable of certain built in quirks of the unit. It may also provide a nice dashboard to see everything available on the 3155 controller currently. This is all speculation but I agree these kinds of things would be nice from a control and peace of mind standpoint.

I have always enjoyed the flexibility of the 3155 and being able to adjust the flow to match the tank size. I have never changed the pump, only replaced with the same tunze pump, so that may be worth looking.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Aqua auto top off and have for about 18 months with hundreds of gallons of kalk ran through it and zero issues thus far… I have a new tunzee sitting in my garage as a back up but I’ve had zero problems so I never made the change… if I ever do I’ll let you know haha!

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing all of this.

The strength of the pump was also a concern of mine. I wonder if it is too strong for a nano reef or AIO build. I also heard there is a pro or deluxe version of the ATO coming out eventually that will add extra notifications and safety alerts so maybe it will also allow for enable/disable of certain built in quirks of the unit. It may also provide a nice dashboard to see everything available on the 3155 controller currently. This is all speculation but I agree these kinds of things would be nice from a control and peace of mind standpoint.

I have always enjoyed the flexibility of the 3155 and being able to adjust the flow to match the tank size. I have never changed the pump, only replaced with the same tunze pump, so that may be worth looking.

Maybe I’ll reach out to Roger and see if he will swap this for old unit for me lol

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2468.jpeg
very good point regarding visual representation. My 3155 box sits with all my other controllers where i can quickly glance at to confirm working.

OP
OP
TacticalReef

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Aqua auto top off and have for about 18 months with hundreds of gallons of kalk ran through it and zero issues thus far… I have a new tunzee sitting in my garage as a back up but I’ve had zero problems so I never made the change… if I ever do I’ll let you know haha!
I have one of the old old models I was going to set back up, the Smart ATO Micro. I just dont know how reliable it will be after being in storage for a couple of years and being as old as it already is haha. I believe I picked it up in 2018.

OP
OP
TacticalReef

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very good point regarding visual representation. My 3155 box sits with all my other controllers where i can quickly glance at to confirm working.
That peace of mind is worth the price. Knowing the system is functional, the tank is stable, and water isnt going all over the floor with a quick glance is great.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if it would work in your case, but I am really liking my neptune atk. The pump is loud, on par with the 3155 imo, but I really like the extra fail safes. The optical high level, time running shutoff, and the float give me a lot of peace of mind. I know some have reported issues with the optical sensors, but I have not had any issues and I am at ~18 months of use. I also like that I can swap out the sensors if one does go bad ibstead of having to replace the entire unit. The FMM module has 4 ports so if you use an apex you can add two more sensors to do extra programming with.

OP
OP
TacticalReef

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if it would work in your case, but I am really liking my neptune atk. The pump is loud, on par with the 3155 imo, but I really like the extra fail safes. The optical high level, time running shutoff, and the float give me a lot of peace of mind. I know some have reported issues with the optical sensors, but I have not had any issues and I am at ~18 months of use. I also like that I can swap out the sensors if one does go bad ibstead of having to replace the entire unit. The FMM module has 4 ports so if you use an apex you can add two more sensors to do extra programming with.
I would love to dive deeper into Apex systems and how I can leverage the automation and notifications but I am not sure if it is really applicable to a nano tank.

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to dive deeper into Apex systems and how I can leverage the automation and notifications but I am not sure if it is really applicable to a nano tank.
The ATK mount won't fit in the IM15. If you go the Apex route you can use two of the magnetic optical sensors with either the FMM module or the ports on the A3 Apex.

Reef-Engineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wager to say you could plug your ATO into your APEX and monitor current, then if it doesnt kick on for a full day (stays low all day) or kicks on for more than 15 minutes or whatever (goes high for too long) the apex could secure it. Options for in case you want to run the new Tunze but want failsafes.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
People actually use the Tunze controller? Mine is tucked away and I have never used it for anything. It’s literally hidden out of sight at all times. If I don’t hear the alarm, I know everything is fine

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back