ATO reservoir sanitation

Riphter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a 10 gallon reservoir that I usually keep full. I've let it run down to the bottom so that I can clean it. I was starting to have a pondish sorta smell. Last cleaning was only 3 months ago. I keep the discharge side of the ATO several inches away from the water level and it faces the glass to help with splash back or siphoning. It is also kept closed on top but has a rear vent to help with humidity inside. I still sometimes get white mold on the lid and exposed sides of the container that i spray with some h2o2 and let dry. but today while cleaning it there was brown sludge on all surfaces. I scrubbed it down with ever clear which is my usual go to for sanitizing hard surfaces on aquarium equipment. I set a fan on top and let it air dry. What can I do to prevent bacteria from growing inside the reservoir? My filtration equipment, where I get my RODI water from is clean, I regularly sanitize where the connections are to prevent buildup. even if I fill a water jug and seal it it will remain clean smelling and clear for weeks or longer. Should I even be worried about this bacteria?

TLDR: ATO revervoir is growing bacteria. Should I be worried and if I should how do i stop it.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria are ubiquitous, there is no stopping them!

I have never cleaned my reservoirs. They develop a nice biofilm on most surfaces, sloppy, white film.

No issues :)

Upvote 0

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the exact amount to dump in? I use 2 “glugs”
:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
image.jpg
seriously tho, my res are by bright windows, so bacterial film and algae are issues…
Just dump in some peroxide (few oz, use common sense) and unless your tank is small and evap rate. is high, no worries

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back