ATO sump levels

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wassup guys! So I’m planning on starting my ATO with reservoir.
I watched a video and maybe I’m thinking too much into it but they mentioned that the reservoir has to sit lower than the sump so that there is no back siphon.
Im attaching the return pump in reservoir and obviously into the sump return section .

sump is on floor, I can’t go lower than that lol.

am I missing something?

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have a siphon break installed in the correct spot you should be fine.

98B1EAB9-368C-4A8B-961D-C9A2CCDC7709.png

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert so this is just how I have mine set up. My reservoir sits next to the sump. I have the tubing from the ATO pump in reservoir run up and over one of my return pipes so it is elevated, and then down into the return chamber of my sump, but above the water level so there is no chance what so ever of a back syphon.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert so this is just how I have mine set up. My reservoir sits next to the sump. I have the tubing from the ATO pump in reservoir run up and over one of my return pipes so it is elevated, and then down into the return chamber of my sump, but above the water level so there is no chance what so ever of a back syphon.
Okay okay any pics?

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Kstatefan said "the output must be higher then the water level in the ATO reservoir". I use booster pumps for my ATO and AWC and was worried that the syphon breaks would leak or blow off so I went with the tube within a tube method which is 100% fool proof. Just ensure the water supply tube feeding the tube going to your sump is higher than the water level in your sump.
20221024_090612.jpg 20221024_090652.jpg 20221024_090659.jpg

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wassup guys! So I’m planning on starting my ATO with reservoir.
I watched a video and maybe I’m thinking too much into it but they mentioned that the reservoir has to sit lower than the sump so that there is no back siphon.
Im attaching the return pump in reservoir and obviously into the sump return section .

sump is on floor, I can’t go lower than that lol.

am I missing something?
Hi There I have just set up a new Red Sea Reefer G2. The ATO reservoir has to sit on top of the sump. Then feeds the sump through a ball valve. I have tested for power outage and nothing overflows when the pump is off. Not sure what else to beware of.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I think I get it lol
Does you tank have an overflow? If so you can put you ATO output there just make sure it is above the water level. That would make it tank height and would have no chance of back siphon as long as the output is above water level in the overflow.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There I have just set up a new Red Sea Reefer G2. The ATO reservoir has to sit on top of the sump. Then feeds the sump through a ball valve. I have tested for power outage and nothing overflows when the pump is off. Not sure what else to beware of.
Ball valve or float valve? If just a ball valve there is no reason it wouldn’t just immediately empty the ATO.

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I think I get it lol
I had the exact same question when I set mine up. I was pretty nervous about flooding my flood after reading some information and watching some videos.
As Kstatefan said "the output must be higher then the water level in the ATO reservoir". I use booster pumps for my ATO and AWC and was worried that the syphon breaks would leak or blow off so I went with the tube within a tube method which is 100% fool proof. Just ensure the water supply tube feeding the tube going to your sump is higher than the water level in your sump.
20221024_090612.jpg 20221024_090652.jpg 20221024_090659.jpg
This is how I have mine setup as well, the tube within a tube.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back