ATS Build

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered some plastic canvas, and will head to HD in a little while to pick up some plumbing supplies, and will buy a pump form brs, along with some other supplies. I plan on using almost double the surface area recomended (144" squared), with 2 11" x 13" pieces. I want to replace my skimmer with it to cut down on electricity, and may also implement one in my frag system to remove that skimmer. I will use PAR 38 LEDs eventually, but for now it will be incandescent.

j.p. harrington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also there is a new design for the ATS its called the upflow ats to where u actually tie the canvas to a bubble tube and that creates a upward current up the canvas and the new canvas sizes have been dramatically reduced to be based off what you feed instead of tank size

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would adding an incandescent lamp, and the pump required to grow algae be that different from a quality skimmer, power wise?

It seems most of the newer skimmers pull 30-50W, which is virtually nothing. Not saying that an ATS is a bad idea on its own, I would just look for another primary reason you want it. In my previous experience, they did discolor the water a bit (yellowish) though they do pull out nutrients as advertised.

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would adding an incandescent lamp, and the pump required to grow algae be that different from a quality skimmer, power wise?

It seems most of the newer skimmers pull 30-50W, which is virtually nothing. Not saying that an ATS is a bad idea on its own, I would just look for another primary reason you want it. In my previous experience, they did discolor the water a bit (yellowish) though they do pull out nutrients as advertised.
50w 24/7 is about $6.00 per month, i agree

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be running it off of my drain line, and eliminate my skimmer, reactors, and a powerhead in my sump, and just use one pump. I bought all of the plumbing parts, and will assemble this today. The lamps will be tyhe spirals for a few weeks, until I order some PAR38 bulbs from our contacts in China. I have a nice camera now, so pics will come. For any of you DIYers, I cut the slot using a sawzall, not the greatest cut, but it worked in a pinch.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the skimmer and reactor will remain on until the ATS establishes in a month or so, then I will begin the experiment. I might switch the tank over to the newest cree XT-Es as well, and use less of them, so that my whole system uses only about 250 watts, and this is a 125 gallon tank. I will simplify it to an ATS, 2 powerheads, dosing pumps, and an ATO unit. The refugium will be emptied of chaeto, and the chaeto will go in my frag system, and be replaced by LR rubble. The frag system will get an external pump, which will run another ats, and both frag tanks. That is the plan anyways.

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the skimmer and reactor will remain on until the ATS establishes in a month or so, then I will begin the experiment. I might switch the tank over to the newest cree XT-Es as well, and use less of them, so that my whole system uses only about 250 watts, and this is a 125 gallon tank. I will simplify it to an ATS, 2 powerheads, dosing pumps, and an ATO unit. The refugium will be emptied of chaeto, and the chaeto will go in my frag system, and be replaced by LR rubble. The frag system will get an external pump, which will run another ats, and both frag tanks. That is the plan anyways.
I would go slow with the changes, maybe cut the skimmer time in halve, if it works thats awsome ..........thats about $ 30 per month for a 125...........incredible !!

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a couple hours later...
IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go slow with the changes, maybe cut the skimmer time in halve, if it works thats awsome ..........thats about $ 30 per month for a 125...........incredible !!
That is somewhat what I planned, I mean going for a month or so, and then cold turkey, won't kill my tank, I have plenty of biological filtration, and water volume at that.

mangobusa83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
being a scrubber guy myself id say you need a little more light and to get it closer...close as humanly possible

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set this up last Sunday on a 30G. Seems to be working well.
Photo1-32.jpg

Bry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the progress? Is it working well enough to have eliminated the skimmer yet?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back