Attaching Live Rock to Glass

Thomas Reeferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to create kind of a sloping drop off awuascape in the back of my tank. I have a circular saw for cutting concrete so I’m not worried about having a smooth finish. Has anyone tried this? Could I just scale up the epoxy-superglue hybrid technique of attaching drag plugs for this kind of idea? I think it would create awesome shady areas for LPS from the physical overhangs as well as when acro colonies get big. Thanks in advanced guys, open to all ideas. My tank is currently just a straight line of rocks length wise across the sand with two short 14ish inch peaks. Pretty boring but I’m just getting this tank running again.

A794CB7D-8516-4B35-ABC3-FD24BF803361.jpeg

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to create kind of a sloping drop off awuascape in the back of my tank. I have a circular saw for cutting concrete so I’m not worried about having a smooth finish. Has anyone tried this? Could I just scale up the epoxy-superglue hybrid technique of attaching drag plugs for this kind of idea? I think it would create awesome shady areas for LPS from the physical overhangs as well as when acro colonies get big. Thanks in advanced guys, open to all ideas. My tank is currently just a straight line of rocks length wise across the sand with two short 14ish inch peaks. Pretty boring but I’m just getting this tank running again.

A794CB7D-8516-4B35-ABC3-FD24BF803361.jpeg
Following

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on doing this while wet? I think that would be difficult. I've seen people use silicon with dry rock. I would probably make an insert using star board or egg crate. You could also look into mag rocks or making your own mag rocks.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have rock siliconed to the back glass

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw someone who used epoxy to attach a plating corals to the back of their tanks. Once it grew they would kill it and attach other corals to it....... that method seemed to take a long time

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think it's totally possible, I've never done it but have seen people attach things to glass. I would also think that if you wanted a good secure bond it would have to be dry before you attatched anything

OP
OP
Thomas Reeferson

Thomas Reeferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on doing this while wet? I think that would be difficult. I've seen people use silicon with dry rock. I would probably make an insert using star board or egg crate. You could also look into mag rocks or making your own mag rocks.
That was the plan to do it wet originally but it looks like it may be easier just to make my own mag rock like you said so thanks for that idea!

OP
OP
Thomas Reeferson

Thomas Reeferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to try it with epoxy and super glue with a rock that is already in my tank after I saw it in half. But making my own mag rocks out of dry rock and then curing it sounds like the best solution to me. Seems pretty simple with a hole saw and grinder to recess the magnet in the rock with epoxy. Added benefit of being able to move it around if I need different light/flow or if it just looks like crap

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I glued two pieces of rock to the back wall of my 22g nano. I just smoothed the flat edge as much as possible and used a generous amount of glue. I might have a pic somewhere when I first set it up?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back