Attempted (and failed) Eel rescue

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, this situation has already passed but I guess I'm just looking to see if anyone thinks I could have saved him if I did anything different.

I'm still very upset about this, I know I'm probably over reacting and taking this too seriously, but here goes nonetheless

Yesterday I got a DM over reddit, this person explained to me that they had a blue ribbon eel, full grown adult, about 3 and a half feet long or so, according to them. They explained to me that they got it 3 months ago and it hasn't ate once, and is now breathing heavy and hardly moving, they asked me if I could come get it and take it home to save it, I had today off work so I agreed. This morning I set off, drove 6 hours to get this eel, brought some supplies with me for the ride back. I get to this guys house and he told me he had just dropped it on the floor while trying to put it in the bag, then drops it again in the snow.. I took the eel, put it in a Styrofoam cooler with the heat on and in the heated seat, I left the house and pulled over about 10 minutes later to give the eel time to calm down a bit, opened the bag and tested the water, the salinity was high at 1.032, the ammonia was 2.0, I immediately added seachem prime and resealed the bag, put the lid back on the cooler and drove another 50 minutes, stopped again and he was breathing a little easier as opposed to the very heavy breathing when I first got him, but still looked very scrawny and malnourished, and either something had been nipping at him or his fins had been torn on rocks or something because his dorsal fin was all torn up, it could have been fin rot but I can't say for sure because I only looked at him under red light very briefly, wanted to keep him dark as much as possible as not to stress him any more than necessary. I kept driving and decided that I'd check again at the halfway stop in 2 hours. When I checked I opened the cooler up and he wasn't moving, tried picking up the bag, nothing, he died.

I'll admit that I cried, I took him back home and buried him under where the bleeding hearts grow in the garden, I felt that was fitting.

Sorry guys, I just needed to rant, I'm upset, do you think I could have done anything else that would have saved him?
God Knows I tried

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo heck no, you did an amazing job with an animal that sounds like was barely hanging on when you got there. Was living in very poor conditions and you did more than I personally would expect anyone to do. Not an eel expert at all, just know good husbandry. I'll yield to the experts now but imo you did nothing wrong. Cool of you to try too btw

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there was nothing you could have done. I really wish people would reach out before it gets this bad, honestly it was hard for me read your story.

My venom tank is an expansion of what was a lion rescue I started more than a dozen years ago. If you ever find yourself in this situation again, or plan to. Have a temporary tank ready, get something at the Petco dollar a gallon sale. Plan to have live food available. General cure, prazi pro, and kanaplex on hand.

OP
OP
Icky Nicky

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there was nothing you could have done. I really wish people would reach out before it gets this bad, honestly it was hard for me read your story.

My venom tank is an expansion of what was a lion rescue I started more than a dozen years ago. If you ever find yourself in this situation again, or plan to. Have a temporary tank ready, get something at the Petco dollar a gallon sale. Plan to have live food available. General cure, prazi pro, and kanaplex on hand.
I had everything ready at home, 15 gallon qt tank with a cave and some medium size mollies living in it, I'm still just really upset about it, at least I tried to give him a chance, he deserved at least that much.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, this situation has already passed but I guess I'm just looking to see if anyone thinks I could have saved him if I did anything different.

I'm still very upset about this, I know I'm probably over reacting and taking this too seriously, but here goes nonetheless

Yesterday I got a DM over reddit, this person explained to me that they had a blue ribbon eel, full grown adult, about 3 and a half feet long or so, according to them. They explained to me that they got it 3 months ago and it hasn't ate once, and is now breathing heavy and hardly moving, they asked me if I could come get it and take it home to save it, I had today off work so I agreed. This morning I set off, drove 6 hours to get this eel, brought some supplies with me for the ride back. I get to this guys house and he told me he had just dropped it on the floor while trying to put it in the bag, then drops it again in the snow.. I took the eel, put it in a Styrofoam cooler with the heat on and in the heated seat, I left the house and pulled over about 10 minutes later to give the eel time to calm down a bit, opened the bag and tested the water, the salinity was high at 1.032, the ammonia was 2.0, I immediately added seachem prime and resealed the bag, put the lid back on the cooler and drove another 50 minutes, stopped again and he was breathing a little easier as opposed to the very heavy breathing when I first got him, but still looked very scrawny and malnourished, and either something had been nipping at him or his fins had been torn on rocks or something because his dorsal fin was all torn up, it could have been fin rot but I can't say for sure because I only looked at him under red light very briefly, wanted to keep him dark as much as possible as not to stress him any more than necessary. I kept driving and decided that I'd check again at the halfway stop in 2 hours. When I checked I opened the cooler up and he wasn't moving, tried picking up the bag, nothing, he died.

I'll admit that I cried, I took him back home and buried him under where the bleeding hearts grow in the garden, I felt that was fitting.

Sorry guys, I just needed to rant, I'm upset, do you think I could have done anything else that would have saved him?
God Knows I tried

Sorry to hear, sounds like that eel had about six strikes against it, and ribbon eels, even if in the best of conditions aren't the hardiest of fish.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

God Knows I tried
Yes - assuming the ammonia was 2 - I would have changed the water before transporting it. However - it also depends on what the pH was - etc etc. Generally speaking - there was likely little or nothing you can do - fish die after being dropped once - let alone 2 x in the snow. It's unclear (after multiple debates ) - whether prime mitigates ammonia toxicity - but under the circumstances - assuming there was no easy way to change water - you did everything you could. EDIT - And - even if you had done the water change - and the eel hadn't been dropped 2 times - it there was likely little to be done.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 51 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 56 47.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back