Attempting a Mixed Reef 150 gallon with Queen Trigger

0MNSH1ZLLC

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 4, 2023
Messages
349
Reaction score
228
Location
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to attempt to add some corals to my queen trigger tank.

Here’s what I’ve got:

FX6 canister filter
Aquamax 1.5 hob
Mp40
2x redsea 90s

The Queen gets fed lightly, 1 mysis cube/silverside every other day.

Any recommendations on corals to add?

I’ll probably do a couple btas. CUC is likely a waste of money.

Guessing I need another 100lbs of LR.

Any other suggestions?

 
I've never tried keeping a queen in with corals, I just assumed there would be issues. Even if the trigger doesn't bite the corals directly, its biomass is going to produce a lot of nitrogenous waste. They will decimate most CUC.

I'm a bit concerned at your feeding regimen for this fish - it may not be enough food, and you need to be reactive and increase the food amounts to account for growth. I tell this story: I like kittens but I hate cats. However, getting a kitten and withholding food to keep it from becoming a cat just won't work (grin).

Jay
 
I've never tried keeping a queen in with corals, I just assumed there would be issues. Even if the trigger doesn't bite the corals directly, its biomass is going to produce a lot of nitrogenous waste. They will decimate most CUC.

I'm a bit concerned at your feeding regimen for this fish - it may not be enough food, and you need to be reactive and increase the food amounts to account for growth. I tell this story: I like kittens but I hate cats. However, getting a kitten and withholding food to keep it from becoming a cat just won't work (grin).

Jay

Thanks Jay! You think I could do nems and get away with it?

Could a carpet nem do any damage to the queen?
 
Thanks Jay! You think I could do nems and get away with it?

Could a carpet nem do any damage to the queen?

Sorry - I've never tried to house queen triggers with anemones, so I don't know what might happen. There is no real issue with the trigger being stung though, they have REALLY tough skin.

Jay
 
I had a niger trigger with BTAs a while ago, no issues. My clowns actually killed the nem from harassing it so much. Niger never looked at it
 
That fish is going to take chunks out of your arm whenever you're trying to place any of your corals.

Hah I’ve taken this into consideration…I’ll section it off when i decide to add anything…but yes it has bitten me before…not recently but it’s not as bad as a puffer bite.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 53 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new