• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

ATYPICAL Inverts/CUC/fish food

Item Price
$5-$50?
Selling Terms Of Service
  1. YES I have read the terms and agree to them
Shipping
YES shipping is available

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I am an experienced spearfisherman and I dive for scallops in Long Island NY. While doing so, I scour the bottom, and find inverts that aren’t common in the hobby, but handle temps in the 70s no problem. Moreover, they offer uniqueness to any tank!

These inverts are great additions to a CUC, but could also be used as treats for predatory fish or even standalone show pieces. My underwater discoveries include true crabs, hermit crabs, mussels, clams, scallops, whelks, sea lettuce macro… I honestly never know what I’ll find while I’m down there. I actually set up a nano tank for myself to show off a shame faced crab I found.

I’ve had bay scallops, argopecten irradians, in my tank for a while. They are different from usual reef scallops in that they are non photosynthetic- and I’ve found that they move around frequently as a result of not being dependent on lighting, adding a really fun character to your tank, all while cleaning the water!

A bit of backstory on me- I’m a university student. While I’ve only just entered the reefing hobby, I am head over heels loving it! However, I am finding myself held back by the reality that proper gear is expensive. If you buy any of these inverts from me, not only are you getting cool stuff, you’re supporting a student seeking to enter the hobby.

If anyone is interested, please don’t hesitate to reach out! Assuming people want to buy, I’ll offer whatever I find at the best prices I possibly can. Thanks you guys!

OP
OP
MantisShrimpMan

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got any pix of your finds?
I’ll post what I can. Unfortunately my GoPro sucks and didn’t actually save half of my footage- the recent half… bet you don’t know what the spiral thing is! But once you know what it is you’d be interested in having it…

also, I can get snails and hermit crabs pretty easily, along with horseshoe, Spider, calico, green, Jonah, and more types of crabs. I see them very very frequently. All I’d need is a quantity and general size desire and I could source it.

The big crab in my photo is a Calappa I found. That’s a really rare find for NY. Smaller crab is a pea crab. Butter fried pea crabs were one of George Washington’s favorite foods. As larvae they can enter the shells of mollusks and grow up inside them- their shells are permanently soft. Other common finds were mentioning are ark clams- aka blood clams- they’re stupidly good at cleaning the water column, so good that in 3rd world countries you can’t eat them because they’ve literally pulled STD’s out of the waste product dumped into the canals and bays. Another worthwhile find is live rock or shells covered in

but seriously guess what that spiral thing is!

8E55232B-AEE2-4A34-992D-F370A697703D.jpeg
B4F31661-B9BF-41D4-8FC1-B6C249C8F3EB.jpeg
AEAFC7EF-D38E-4FCB-9F36-0DABEB9D3E87.jpeg
5E40FD5C-6AE3-434D-A090-DCDF0C32D029.jpeg

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the spiral thingy is something's egg case.

ohana888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll post what I can. Unfortunately my GoPro sucks and didn’t actually save half of my footage- the recent half… bet you don’t know what the spiral thing is! But once you know what it is you’d be interested in having it…

also, I can get snails and hermit crabs pretty easily, along with horseshoe, Spider, calico, green, Jonah, and more types of crabs. I see them very very frequently. All I’d need is a quantity and general size desire and I could source it.

The big crab in my photo is a Calappa I found. That’s a really rare find for NY. Smaller crab is a pea crab. Butter fried pea crabs were one of George Washington’s favorite foods. As larvae they can enter the shells of mollusks and grow up inside them- their shells are permanently soft. Other common finds were mentioning are ark clams- aka blood clams- they’re stupidly good at cleaning the water column, so good that in 3rd world countries you can’t eat them because they’ve literally pulled STD’s out of the waste product dumped into the canals and bays. Another worthwhile find is live rock or shells covered in

but seriously guess what that spiral thing is!

8E55232B-AEE2-4A34-992D-F370A697703D.jpeg
B4F31661-B9BF-41D4-8FC1-B6C249C8F3EB.jpeg
AEAFC7EF-D38E-4FCB-9F36-0DABEB9D3E87.jpeg
5E40FD5C-6AE3-434D-A090-DCDF0C32D029.jpeg
WHELK EGG CASE

ohana888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct!

so if you had one of those, you’d end up with dozens of great clean up crew whelks!!!!
they would ourgrow most home tanks and are nocturnal scavanger/predators - they will eat clams, sleeping fish & smaller inverts.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back