Aussie lords thread...

greystreet41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious how they were able to ID the micro vs. the acan...any idea? nice regardless....

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious how they were able to ID the micro vs. the acan...any idea? nice regardless....

I wondered that as well. I figured that is was just based one polyp size since a 100% id would require you to look at the actual skeleton.

greystreet41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
polyp size would make sense, but I have some really small polype acans that I would not consider to be micros...polyps smaller than most micro polyps I've seen..I dunno

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
polyp size would make sense, but I have some really small polype acans that I would not consider to be micros...polyps smaller than most micro polyps I've seen..I dunno

You can't post that comment without pics.:)

greystreet41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to tell, but use the crate it's on as a guide and the reg. size polyp in the lower right..these are tiny polyps, but still don't look like micros...
igljuly8-1.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DROOL! :marv

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No problem Chris. I'll pick it up for you when I stop by Casey's house. I'll just put it on your tab. When would you like me to ship it?

Last edited by a moderator:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not a problem bro! Anything for you. I'll even pay shipping.

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed there is a wide variety of polyp size with the aussie acans. I would like to get a better look at that Casey - you can just send it my way for "further testing"!!!LOL Great pic man!

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wasn't it Jendub who was saying she's observed the aussie acans as having unusually small polyps compared to their Indo cousins?? i'd put a lot of weight on her observations...no doubt.

and yeah, that Fragglereef ID is prolly wrong imo...it looks exactly like many other aussie acans i've seen....plus, i've actually seen an aussie micromussa first hand (it was a crappy brownish colour surprisingly enough), and there's no mistaking it for an acan lordhowensis, vice versa.

Zach

bluegrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wasn't it Jendub who was saying she's observed the aussie acans as having unusually small polyps compared to their Indo cousins?? i'd put a lot of weight on her observations...no doubt.

and yeah, that Fragglereef ID is prolly wrong imo...it looks exactly like many other aussie acans i've seen....plus, i've actually seen an aussie micromussa first hand (it was a crappy brownish colour surprisingly enough), and there's no mistaking it for an acan lordhowensis, vice versa.

Zach

there have been what you would think as regular sized polyps, as well as, small polyped....there's just no consistency at all.

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there have been what you would think as regular sized polyps, as well as, small polyped....there's just no consistency at all.

true....most aussie polyps are a normal to small size...but some do get pretty fat and plump like the indo ones.....yeah definitely no consistency...

below is a pic of a colony freshly unpacked.....i saw it a week later and the polyps were almost twice the size (sorry gots no pics of this)...prolly the puffiest aussie lord i've seen so far.....certainly more puffy than any Indo ones I own ;)

IMG_6329Large.jpg

Zach

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I first got this, it looked very similar to the ones Patwa posted.. but overtime, she lost a lot of her colors... :(

but it's definitely one of the puffiest!

07-08-07_Aussie1b.jpg

07-08-07_Aussie1d.jpg

you can gauge the polyp size by the eggcrate squares..
07-19-07_Aussie_2.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back