Aussie SPS ?

Darren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a frag that looks like an Enchinata (white / light blue tips). Put it high in the tank and it lost all color. I put it down low and the tips turn blue again. Do these aussie sps prefer low light? Thanks in advance. Oh BTW I have 2 x 250W Radiums.

waxy

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moderate light works for them.

Although they are located directly on the equator they would like a moderate amount of light.

Too much light, they'll turn on you.

I have Green and Purple Echinata's that prefer light in their face. The frags are in moderate light and they seem to be doing ok.

Stick with where ever it's happy, no one likes a white coral.

I too have 2x 250watt 20k Radiums. Supplemented by (4) 54watt Actinics.

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Australia is not located directly on the equator. There are other factors besides the lattitude of collection. That alone will not tell you how much light the coral needs.

jam3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
From personal experience I know Aussie sps likes cooler temperature. I run my tank 75-76 now and they're all doing fine. One weekend when I was out of town the tank went up to 80 and I lost a couple colonies. So in your case when you put the colonies "high" up in the tank it might not be a lighting issue but more of a heat issue.

waxy

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Australia is not located directly on the equator. There are other factors besides the lattitude of collection. That alone will not tell you how much light the coral needs.

Close to it, my mistake.

Regardless, it'll thrive through adaptation.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%

Back