Australian live rock?

d3vhound

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to buy some live rock and originally had my mind set on KP Aquatics but saw an LFS in Austin, TX had posted about Live rock from Australia 5 months ago. I figured what's the harm in asking if they still had some and they replied that they do. Being in TX I'd imagine I could get same day air-freight shipping which would allow the rock to only be out of water for ~2-3 hours. The only problem/concern is trusting that it is indeed live rock from Australia. The only documentation he said he could provide was a paper from CITES with Scleractinia on it. Pricing is $15/lb as well. Quite the premium..

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that I know some reputable wholesalers who did have a large quantity of Australian live rock several months back. That coincides with the timeline, no idea if its from that source though, I'd make the drive to visually inspect.

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in Sydney you can get awesome live rock which is sold in 20 kilos (44lb) boxes for around AUD 350 (US230). That is premium stuff from Cairns marine.

I have no idea how you might tell if it is for real or not, I would think good live rock is pretty similar no matter where is came from...?

Ken Goldsmith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to buy some live rock and originally had my mind set on KP Aquatics but saw an LFS in Austin, TX had posted about Live rock from Australia 5 months ago. I figured what's the harm in asking if they still had some and they replied that they do. Being in TX I'd imagine I could get same day air-freight shipping which would allow the rock to only be out of water for ~2-3 hours. The only problem/concern is trusting that it is indeed live rock from Australia. The only documentation he said he could provide was a paper from CITES with Scleractinia on it. Pricing is $15/lb as well. Quite the premium..
You have to figure out the freight from somewhere as well to add to that price.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here in Sydney you can get awesome live rock which is sold in 20 kilos (44lb) boxes for around AUD 350 (US230). That is premium stuff from Cairns marine.

yeah, but…
it’s like… your… backyard

(ftr, us places like unique are charging round $25lb)

Ken Goldsmith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That what they say. By the way, the rock comes wrapped in wet newspaper not water. I believe there is also a freight charge.

Ken Goldsmith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, but…
it’s like… your… backyard

(ftr, us places like unique are charging round $25lb)
I guess that is like getting Florida live rock for us US guys, which you really can't get anymore. However, I remember that Australia was pretty tough in exporting invertebrates other than the sea apple. Have they loosened up. I used to import fish from Australia in the 80's and 90's.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unique Corals is selling Australian live rock in small amounts. They're definitely importing corals from there, and I guess they're adding some live rock in as well, so Australia must be allowing exports.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back