Australophyllia Wilsoni care

Zerc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found a wilsoni frag at a local swap and picked it up. Everything I have been able to find online says that they are really hard to keep long term. Has anyone here had success in GROWING them instead of the slow but steady recession I read about everywhere else? It seems puffed up and happy, and is eating (have been feeding it lps pellets). Located on bottom of a BB 75 gallon tank, only flow is a hydor koralia about 1/3 of the way from the top on one end and aimed slightly up. Lighting is 3x blue plus + 1x purple plus t5 on a tek fixture. I keep other lps/softies in the tank.

12778726_10102254957494173_143861254505331760_o.jpg

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some times i think they just get bored, need to re-classify something. I also picked a rainbow one up last weekend. Now hoping others chime in on care. Read not easy like others in lobo family.

lakereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for at least a year and it has shown some slow growth from a frag smaller than yours pictured. Another bigger one I acquired from a friend few months ago is slowly coloring up. I have a couple buddies that have kept them successfully for years. I've found they really like to be fed.

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 3 Wilsoni colonies along with 3 smaller multi-eye pieces and they just so happen to be my favorite LPS coral. (]:

They really are slow growers and can't handle a ton of flow until they reach a colony size. I find if the lobes are more fleshy and less compressed they will need to be placed directly under your flow similar to that in which Hammers prefer. I would say bump up your feeding regime but don't overfeed it. I tend to feed mine on the same schedule that I feed my Dendros, which is every other day. I also switch it up between LRS Reef Frenzy and Fauna Marin Med LPS pellets.

The other thing I can think of which may be quite beneficial is removing the excess skeleton. They really do best with fine sand below their lobes. I have my frags propped up so the lobes overhang the edges of the skeleton when open and the base is cut in a cone shape. When yours opens up, the excess skeleton is likely irritating it hence the reason it looks unhappy IMO.

As for the low success rate, I read that and think it's totally nonsense. They do require slightly more care than other brains and typically grow slower but they're extremely hardy and I have yet to see a sign of recession in any of mine.

Anyways it's a beautiful looking Wilsoni and with extra care, I'm sure it will pull through.

OP
OP
Z

Zerc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alk: 9.2
ca: 400
mg: 1300

(well, that's what I tested it at Tuesday evening)

How would you suggest I remove skeleton? I don't own a saw.

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if wire cutters will work or not. Your LFS may have actual coral cutters which is what I use. From what I've read you can find a good pair of cutters at Home Depot or Lowe's.

OP
OP
Z

Zerc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will find some this week then. You recommend just cutting it into a cone shape so the polyp does not rub when extended yes?

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't attempt to cut it in a cone shape with cutters. Just trim the skeleton and file any rough edges.

Mine were cut in a cone shape with a coral saw.

I'll post a pic this evening

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally it should be able to overhang the edge and not come in contact with the exposed skeleton.

The Wilsoni frag in my avatar is perfect example.

OP
OP
Z

Zerc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess i have some trimming to do! I'll post some pics as soon as i find some cutters that work.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine just looked closed up since i got it a few weeks ago. Nothing picking it just looked like an acan that is receding. I moved it into another tank, same water perimeters except one, temperature. My main tank is 78-79 using a chiller. This smaller tank is 75-76. The wilsoni opened up. Looks more like a happy acan lord and less like a loss cause acan lord. After noting this i looked online and seem this coral comes from sub-tropical waters.

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine just looked closed up since i got it a few weeks ago. Nothing picking it just looked like an acan that is receding. I moved it into another tank, same water perimeters except one, temperature. My main tank is 78-79 using a chiller. This smaller tank is 75-76. The wilsoni opened up. Looks more like a happy acan lord and less like a loss cause acan lord. After noting this i looked online and seem this coral comes from sub-tropical waters.

That's an interesting theory Tab. My temp runs at a steady 78 degrees and my Wilsoni's are always nice and puffy, yet my Acans are way more temperamental. I may test your theory and see if there are any noticeable changes to my Acans and or Wilsoni at a lower temp.

Any update on your Wilsoni Zerc?

OP
OP
Z

Zerc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used some cutters and did some trimming, it looks better i think. I cut down feeding to 4-5 times/week. I think it is doing well still despite the "diet". :)
I will get a pic when i get home tonight.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back