Auto shut off valve in inlet or waste of membrane?

rajdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
About the Auto Shut off valve in a RO water filter system... I see two ways of installing it.
The most common way of installing it is so that the ASOV shuts off water flow coming into the membrane.
I have also seen another way, where the ASOV shuts off drain water (coming out from the membrane).

Some people say the second one is the correct one and others say that no, the first one is correct.

I have seen both connection diagrams work fine. Is there any advantage of using one over another?

Thanks
-Raj

Reference:

First way:

Second way:

This is the alternative one, which some people on another reefing forums swear by.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both set ups will work. But putting the a.s.o. in the waste line keeps the filter canisters at house pressure. Putting the a.s.o. before everything removes the pressure from the system.

OP
OP
R

rajdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both set ups will work. But putting the a.s.o. in the waste line keeps the filter canisters at house pressure. Putting the a.s.o. before everything removes the pressure from the system.
Ah! so what you are proposing is a THIRD way of connecting the ASO....in the inlet supply line, even before the carbon blocks.

May I ask why is keeping the canisters not under pressure advantageous? I guess it will help if a canister bursts or develops a leak?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah! so what you are proposing is a THIRD way of connecting the ASO....in the inlet supply line, even before the carbon blocks.

May I ask why is keeping the canisters not under pressure advantageous? I guess it will help if a canister bursts or develops a leak?
If you have better incoming pressure, say 80 psi my opinion is it's better to remove that pressure when you can. However they are designed so that they can handle it.

It will also allow you to change out the filters that are before the check valve.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back