Auto Top Off System

Joem820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a tank that I have a 125 Gal tank with a 30ish Gal sump. I have never set up an ATO system before and was thinking that I should before I get one before I go on vacation in June and I have a few questions.
1: When looking at the different options on the BRS website, is there anything I should be looking for in a system? Could you guys give any recommendations for a specific system and explain why they are recommending that system.
2: Do I really need to buy an expensive ATO reservoir or would a Petco 10/20 Gal aquarium work just fine?
3: How complex is an ATO to setup? I was able to plum my sump, but that was the extent of my DIY handyman skills lol.
Thanks in advance for all the help.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me be the first - Tunze Osmolator. You may save 20% on a DIY or lesser brand (but pumps may/may not be included) but compared to the reliabilty and the fact that you can go on vacation without a worry about the ATO - priceless.

Now about your tank sitter overfeeding the "hungry looking fish"...can't help you there. :)

OP
OP
Joem820

Joem820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me be the first - Tunze Osmolator. You may save 20% on a DIY or lesser brand (but pumps may/may not be included) but compared to the reliabilty and the fact that you can go on vacation without a worry about the ATO - priceless.

Now about your tank sitter overfeeding the "hungry looking fish"...can't help you there. :)
In the past, for shorter trips, I always prepped the food in advance and said: "dump one container into the tank every day" to try and combat this.

Marlon C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3 ato. 1 is a diy with 2 float valves 1 controls the water level the other is for redundancy incase the main valve failes. It cost me about 25 total with the pump. 2nd is a hydrofil right now I'm on vacation and won't be back till Friday. I got an apex alert thet my low level sensor was triggered I checked my apex and sure enough the ato was reading 0 watts. So I filled my tank with a secondary pump I have to manually turn on via apex until my high level sensor is triggered. Luckily my neighbor is a good guy and watches my tank. He cleaned my hydrofil prongs for me and its working for now. The tunze is a great ato. But I think I'm going to replace this hydrofil with another diy ato.

Now for food they sell wifi controlled food feeders I just bought one last week and its been working great. The apex option was way too much for me. This one was 25 and works great.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Gamma Vittles. I got the largest one, it holds 10 gallons of water. You can easily drill a couple of holes in it for power cords and hoses. It is made out of food safe plastic and has a small footprint. They sell it on amazon and petco as well. IMHO can't beat the Tunze!

KWT

Keep on keepin on
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have icecap, and I have one each of the above mention to replace them when they fail. At times mine are very finicky, but over all they continue to work. I have a 180g and a 65g set up alone with a 20g

tkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running the Xp Aqua Ultimate ATO 4 sensor for the last 3 years on my current tank. Never had an issue, very stable and consistent. I have used a 5 gallon pail in the past for the reservoir, drilled 2 holes in the lid for tubing and pump cord. Now I am using the Trigger Systems Crystal ATO 5 gallon reservoir, which fits nicely inside the tank stand and out of sight.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Tunze 3155.
Any container would work. I use a 7 gallon water jug from amazon.

Last me 1.5 week during winter like this.
Would last me 2 weeks on summer.
But my tank is only 40B+20L sump

Set up itself is not that hard. Everything comes with the package. Just need to find out where the water line in the return pump

This was when I set up my ato

Its slightly different now though.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back