Auto Water Change +ATO+2Tanks+Shared Sump+Refugium.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto Water Change, plus, ATO, plus Two Aquariums, plus A Shared Sump, plus A Shared Refugium. When I set up my 120 Gallon, I’m think about setting up the above. The Sump and Refugium would go behind the wall under my Basement Stairs. My Replacement Saltwater would be in a 45 Gallon AGA Aquarium that I already have. I would still do my mixing in a Brute Container. The Aquariums would be the same surface height with each other, and the Sump and Refugium would also be the same height with each. I always do a full quarantin, on new livestock. I’m trying to figure out if there would be any other problems. Also I have a Gen-X pump I’m hoping I can finally use. Also I need suggestions on Auto Water Changers

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the aquariums/refugiums/sump need to necessarily be at same height. As long as the sump is lowest point in your system and all the tanks direct feed the sump (no cascading) you shouldn't be restricted to maintaining same height.

Now if you're cascading tanks - that's a bit different as with return pump off the lower tanks can overflow from the higher tanks so yes, having a cascaded 'circuit of tanks' on same level would prevent that.

Just make sure sump is big enough to take all the drainage with power off.

If you already have controller I'd go with setting that up to do AWC.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 10.0%

Back