Auto Water Change Reservoir... Need Powerhead?

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally getting ready to get the tank wet this weekend... I have the @AUTOAQUA Smart AWC Duo system all set up but my question is... Does my AWC saltwater reservoir need a powerhead running to keep the water moving?

Tank is 25gal... Reservoir is 5gal... Plan to do small changes daily so 5gal should last me close to 10 days or so? Yet to be determined.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it’s mixed you don’t need to circulate. My mixed saltwater goes over a month without circulating.

Edit. I did play around with a pump kicking on for thirty minutes every night to keep the bottom of the tank clean but it didn’t make any difference

OP
OP
FoolishWizard

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it’s mixed you don’t need to circulate. My mixed saltwater goes over a month without circulating.

Edit. I did play around with a pump kicking on for thirty minutes every night to keep the bottom of the tank clean but it didn’t make any difference
Sounds good!

I know, while different topic but how long do you circulate while mixing? Until clear? Set amount of time? Manufacturers recommendation?

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
until clear is fine. nothing wrong with going longer but no real upside either.
Only caveat would be if you intend to do a water change of a large percentage (e.g. >>30% at a time).
If so, you would, ideally, want to mix the NSW with some aeration...such as having the pump circulate the NSW kind of like a faucet filling a bathtub. Just so you dont somehow add a bunch of O2-depleted water into your tank. The risk would be pretty negligible (or zero) for newly mixed NSW. But possible for NSW that has sat in a reservoir for an extended period.
Again, with smaller water changes, it won't be an issue.

OP
OP
FoolishWizard

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
until clear is fine. nothing wrong with going longer but no real upside either.
Only caveat would be if you intend to do a water change of a large percentage (e.g. >>30% at a time).
If so, you would, ideally, want to mix the NSW with some aeration...such as having the pump circulate the NSW kind of like a faucet filling a bathtub. Just so you dont somehow add a bunch of O2-depleted water into your tank. The risk would be pretty negligible (or zero) for newly mixed NSW. But possible for NSW that has sat in a reservoir for an extended period.
Again, with smaller water changes, it won't be an issue.
Noted… Yeah my salt mixing “station” Brute I have a small powerhead for during the mixing stage. Good to know the AWC reservoir should be fine without.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back