Auto Water Change

SilverBulletPRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I was wondering what everyone is using for auto water change?
So far it looks like everyone likes the ecotech versa or the kaomer x2sr.
Also wondering if it is possible to use the Red Sea ReefDose for AWC? Thanks!

PbMan26

Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Neptune DOS. It works pretty well. It just takes too long.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Versas on one of my tanks. My 20g invert QT is set up with two cheap BRS 50ml/m pumps on timers. The BRS pumps work just fine, but I wouldn't want to use them for water changes on a tank set up in a 'main' part of the house. They're not quiet. They can move about 3/4 of a gallon per hour, depending on the size of WC you want to do, that could mean listening to them for several hours a day, unless you time them to go at night or when you're not home.

I like Kamoer X1 pumps for dosing, but, for not good reason, I feel like they wouldn't be able to handle water changes, plus they're kinda loud too.

The versas, however, are dead silent at lower speeds and if you have other EM equipment, they'll integrate right into the Mobius app.

If you do go with dosing pumps for AWCs, just make sure they're either meant for continuous use or the maximum amount of time the specs say they can run is more than how long you need them to run for. That is, if you're going to need them to run for 2 hours/day, make sure they won't need a break to cool down every 30 minutes.

Also, pay attention to pumps with 'regular' motors vs pumps with stepper motors. Stepper motors will deliver a much more accurate amount of water by using electronics to turn the motor X number of times. A regular motor is simply starts running as soon as power is supplied and stops when the power is removed. If one pump happens to run just a hair slower or faster than the other, it can cause problems without something adjust for that (like handing off AWC duty to a controller).

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything ^that guy said, also

Im trying to calibrate a DOS for my small tank now and its a PINA so far. I just got the x2sr for the main display but have not set it up yet. I would have gotten the versa pumps but cant find them anywhere.

The only other option I know if is a liter meter but Im just not a fan of those.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these Booster Pumps on a recommendation from BRS. Same as what is used for an RODI System. I thought they were crazy so I called the manufacturer and he explained to me how these pumps actually work. I told him I need to push and pull water 60+ feet. He never heard of them being used for this application but said they should work just fine so I gave them a try.
These work great if you want to speed up your AWC. I AWC 3.5gal per day and the pull takes about 5min and the push takes approximately 4min. So a total of 7gal in less than 10min @ 60ft.

200200-Aquatec-8800-Booster-Pump-1-4-inch-a_1.jpg

Inked20201216_125706.jpg

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these Booster Pumps on a recommendation from BRS. Same as what is used for an RODI System. I thought they were crazy so I called the manufacturer and he explained to me how these pumps actually work. I told him I need to push and pull water 60+ feet. He never heard of them being used for this application but said they should work just fine so I gave them a try.
These work great if you want to speed up your AWC. I AWC 3.5gal per day and the pull takes about 5min and the push takes approximately 4min. So a total of 7gal in less than 10min @ 60ft.

Inked20201216_125706.jpg
Cool!

How is the accuracy of the pumps? And whats the cost?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a older masterflex pump with a multichannel pump head. It’s not quiet but it is an amazing pump. Also with using the single pump my in and out vary slightly so I have to adjust my salinity to compensate.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Inked20201216_125706.jpg
Sweet setup, thanks for sharing a photo. Is there no concern with salt/gunk buildup on the booster pumps?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DOS here. I do a 10 gallon manual change, once per week via the DOS and it takes around eight hours.

I would not suggest a ReefDose as it isn't really designed for that purpose. You'll need to look at the flow rates and make comparisons.

For example:
ReefDose2:
  • Dosing Speed: 15mL/min to 45mL/min
Neptune DOS:
  • Flow Rate: Variable (0.1mL – 250mL/min)
The AquaTec booster pump is an interesting idea, but getting them where they remove\add the same amount of water might be a bit tweaky.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool!

How is the accuracy of the pumps? And whats the cost?
Sorry took so long to get back. Was out on the St. Croix River. Don't know about accuracy. Doesn't factor in on my system. I have a GHL Profilux 4 that controls my water changes using two optical sensors so I may have a 1 pint difference only due to the ATO sensor is also the full sensor for AWC. My ATO kicks in with about 1 pint of evaporation so based on that when the AWC kicks in you may be at level or anywhere in between at level and 1 pint evaporation. My total tank/sump volume is 255gal. I can also get alarms and pump shutdowns if the AWC or ATO take to long. That has never happened.
As far as cost, Boost Pump $99.99, power supply $37.49 on BRS web site. I'm sure you can find these on many other sites. You would need X2.
Not sure this would work unless you have a controller.

ROBERT35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I was wondering what everyone is using for auto water change?
So far it looks like everyone likes the ecotech versa or the kaomer x2sr.
Also wondering if it is possible to use the Red Sea ReefDose for AWC? Thanks!
I also use the Neptune dose. As mentioned it does take a long time. I change out 2 gallons per day and it takes 2 hours. My big question is where to pull water from and where to return it. Right now I'm pulling from my skimmer area and returning it to my return pump area. The dose pumps are set to do this at the same time. Seems like you would be eventually pulling out the same water you're returning. Does that make sense???

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the Neptune dose. As mentioned it does take a long time. I change out 2 gallons per day and it takes 2 hours. My big question is where to pull water from and where to return it. Right now I'm pulling from my skimmer area and returning it to my return pump area. The dose pumps are set to do this at the same time. Seems like you would be eventually pulling out the same water you're returning. Does that make sense???
That's essentially the same thing I do. With how small the water changes are compared to how much water is in the tank, I can't imagine that much is being drawn back out.
I also have my fresh water going into the return section and the tank water being drawn from the other side of the sump.
Another thing I do is start the 'fill' pump about 15 minutes before the 'drain' pump. That way the water level remains above the ATO sensor until the end of the water change.
I do have a Hydros on my QT. With that (and I assume with an Apex), it has a built in AWC program. It shuts down the ATO, drains the water then fills it back up until the sensor (for the ATO) sees it, then turns the ATO back on.

ROBERT35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's essentially the same thing I do. With how small the water changes are compared to how much water is in the tank, I can't imagine that much is being drawn back out.
I also have my fresh water going into the return section and the tank water being drawn from the other side of the sump.
Another thing I do is start the 'fill' pump about 15 minutes before the 'drain' pump. That way the water level remains above the ATO sensor until the end of the water change.
I do have a Hydros on my QT. With that (and I assume with an Apex), it has a built in AWC program. It shuts down the ATO, drains the water then fills it back up until the sensor (for the ATO) sees it, then turns the ATO back on.
Makes sense. And yes my apex is set the sme for the ATO.

OP
OP
S

SilverBulletPRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything ^that guy said, also

Im trying to calibrate a DOS for my small tank now and its a PINA so far. I just got the x2sr for the main display but have not set it up yet. I would have gotten the versa pumps but cant find them anywhere.

The only other option I know if is a liter meter but Im just not a fan of those.
Same, looks like the versa pumps would work great, but it's so hard to find them in stock. Next up is the X2SR but it seems like people hate the interface of the app.

OP
OP
S

SilverBulletPRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Inked20201216_125706.jpg
wow that is awesome, I use this pump for my RODI and it never crossed my mind to use it for water changes

OP
OP
S

SilverBulletPRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is you'll be pulling some new water but doing this daily overtime you'll still end up with cleaner water.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back