AutoAqua Automatic Water Change System - Review

Richmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up an AutoAqua AWC/ATO for my IM 40 system. I'm in the process of setting up a water change/mixing station and needed an ATO solution for the RODI reservoir. While looking at the options that I'd trust, I decided my existing Hydrofill was going to be a safe bet but left my tank with no ATO. Doing a little research I decided to get the AWC from AutoAqua to replace the system, and automate the water change process.

I got the box yesterday and setup the system today. First, the packaging was really nice and neat. I opened the box and sort of had a panic attack. THERE ARE NO PUMPS! The website said the pumps were included, so I was a little distressed. I then discovered the pumps were in fact in the box, they're just TINY. They're slightly larger than a matchbox but cubed. Jackpot, except - how are they going to move water up ~4 feet and a total of ~6 feet from the NSW bucket to the tank!?!?!

I read the manual, which is basically a first for me - I normally just start plugging stuff in. The manual is really simple to follow with nice illustrations and clear instructions. I then set about plugging in and setting up all the cables, sensors, and pumps. All in all it took me about 20 minutes and I was ready to test. The user manual says you should do a manual water change the first time so it can calibrate timing. Basically it times how long the pumps run for the first water change, and if a subsequent automatic water change takes longer it starts sending alerts and shutting stuff down.

So everything is setup, I cycle thru the options and setup an 8 hour water change. I've set the sensors to do what I'm estimating is ~1/3rd of a gallon per change. I hit start and immediately the waste water begins dumping. As soon as the water level hits the low sensor it stops - success! Now the tricky part... Getting the water back in the tank. Nothing happens... Panic. Is it too much head pressure? Is this tiny pump not enough? Did I set it up wrong? Nope. During the manual water change you have to hit enter on the controller to get to the next step. Took me a minute to realize. So I hit the button and am SHOCKED to see the tiniest water pump I've ever laid eyes upon push the water up the tube and into the tank. After about 30 seconds the pump turns off and the water change is done. I went ahead and did a second manual water change to make sure I had a good idea of the volume and it was just about exactly what I wanted to change.

Two button pushes later and it's now on automatic. In ~7 hours we'll see how the next change goes. For anyone considering one of these systems, or is looking at a new ATO - I would definitely recommend. I will update if anything changes and happy to answer any questions.

Sorry for the wordy post, I kinda doubt it'll get read but wanted to share the experience!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubt no more because it's been read. :) Great write up and it sounds like a pretty slick system. It always great to read positive reviews. Keep us posted with a follow up after some time passes.

ZachR32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows this working out for you? Have been interested in this product for my nanos for a while but havent bitten the bullet yet

Sandman1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have this setup in my 500litre since 7 months now doin about 20% awc every 2 days.. today weirdly the tank overflowed after the awc .. m guessing the sensor that makes it stop maybe malfunctioned.. anyway it was chaos had to wipe the floor clean.. but I think I'd rather stick to manual awc from.now on rather then auto.. I hope the auto top off works fine for now have just shut everything will figure it out in the morning.

Last edited:

Popeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still using this? I'm wanting to get one as well. this is the first bad thing I've read so far. did you figure out why it overflowed?

Popeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still using this? I've been wanting to get one as well. this is the first bad thing I've read so far. did you figure out why it overflowed?

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting mine set up and I decided to plug it into the Autoaqua smart level sensor, it's a socket with an additional sensor that will shut off whatever's plugged in when it's triggered. This will act as a last line of defense in case of a malfunction.

Austintatious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving an old thread... I have one of these and absolutely love it. It has been going along for 2 years now doing 2.5 gallons a day on a 140. It has made the largest difference in the enjoyment of this hobby than any other piece of equipment.

I love this so much, I decided I wanted to buy another as a back up. From what I can tell they no longer make them... What gives? This is an amazing product!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back