Autoaqua Micro ATO = poor warranty what to buy next??

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well my Micro ATO stopped working and threw my SG off in the 29g. and since the volume is so small it affected the tank pretty good by the time I noticed it climbing.

I did my part troubleshooting the issue to no avail. cleaned the sensor, took the guard off the pump to check the volute and everything should be working.
contacted auto aqua and sent them a description of what is happening and pictures of the unit with all the information that I had on the ATO. they forwarded me to coralvue support and sent them the same info, the rep I had said she couldn't help me with out a copy of the receipt. seeing that I bought it in July 2019, installed on the tank Aug 2019, and with all the purchases for the new build, I cant find it. I looked everywhere for the receipt and nothing. I do remember that I paid cash for it because I had some store credit at my LFS and just paid the difference. we went back and forth over a few weeks. I asked if there was ANYTHING that she could do to help me out with this and she told me "No sir not unless you can find your proof of purchase.".
this is unfortunate because I was really wanting to buy another one for the 75g build, but as of now I think I am going to have to go with another brand and now buy 2 new ones. I figured for $130 I would have had more than 6 months of use from it. I am not one to blast someone/ company for things like this, but I also would think that $130 ATO would last and wouldn't be a big hit on the wallet of a rather large company that makes many large sales a day...… I have dealt with smaller companies (especially in the race car world) that have warrantied out parts without hesitation. I can give examples if needed.... just disappointed in coralvue right now....

So my question now is:
What should i go with next? Obviously i am looking for something that will last longer than 6 months and has a good warranty...... oh and something that wont overflow my tank!

Thanks Everyone!

Barnabie

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the tunze osmolator? I haven't had any issues with mine but granted I don't have much experience to compare it to.

OP
OP
Barnabie Mejia

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the tunze osmolator? I haven't had any issues with mine but granted I don't have much experience to compare it to.
I was actually looking at that one or the duetto…. I was spoiled with the one I had, I cant stand adding water manually, and I think it bothers me a little more because my tank really likes being at 1.026 and with only 29g it seems to evaporate out pretty quickly... it will climb up to 1.029 - 1.030 pretty quick...

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running DIY ATOs on my tanks for going on three years now, no issues. A solid state relay and a couple float switches, cannibalize an extension cord and a 5v/.5a charger and you're in business.

/oh and an Aqualifter.

OP
OP
Barnabie Mejia

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good News Everyone! I was contacted by Coralvue and they are looking into the issue a little further and they are going make it right! From what I am gathering its more of a procedural thing more than anything.

I will keep everyone posted on this!!!

Thanks to @Jeff@CoralVue for reaching out!

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it doesn’t get resolved, I’d go with the tunze or apex atk
Good News Everyone! I was contacted by Coralvue and they are looking into the issue a little further and they are going make it right! From what I am gathering its more of a procedural thing more than anything.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are very welcome. Thank you for giving me the heads up about your situation. AutoAqua is a great company to work with. They even manufacture the Duetto that you suggested as an alternative. I am not an official member of our support group, so please allow me a little time (probably just the afternoon) to brief them on the issues you reported to me so that we can get you back up and running. Thank you for messaging me and giving CoralVue the opportunity to make this right!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had a very good experience with my Auto Aqua ATO so I just recently ordered second one for another system.

dvon0605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are very welcome. Thank you for giving me the heads up about your situation. AutoAqua is a great company to work with. They even manufacture the Duetto that you suggested as an alternative. I am not an official member of our support group, so please allow me a little time (probably just the afternoon) to brief them on the issues you reported to me so that we can get you back up and running. Thank you for messaging me and giving CoralVue the opportunity to make this right!
I own 6 of these units because I thought they were good but had multiple pumps go out on me. The customer service used to be good but now they're requiring that you pay shipping to send the unit back. For as much as we spend on this hobby there is better customer service and products out there

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own 6 of these units because I thought they were good but had multiple pumps go out on me. The customer service used to be good but now they're requiring that you pay shipping to send the unit back. For as much as we spend on this hobby there is better customer service and products out there

Hi, dvon0605! I am sorry to hear about the trouble you've experienced with the Smart ATO pumps. The pumps are rated for 30,000 hours of operation, so they should operate without any issues for 3 years or more. Replacements are pretty affordable ($23) if you're out of warranty; AutoAqua also has this cool accessory called a Smart Outlet ($30) so you can swap out that little DC pump for the pump of your choosing (as long as it draws under 9 amps). I am not familiar with the incidents you mentioned or the interactions with our support team, however, if there is anything I can personally do to help you out, I am happy to do so. Just let me know!

dvon0605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are still under warranty but the customer service rep said that because I have had pumps go out before I have to send my units in. She also said that if I want a new pump then just go buy one and closed the trouble ticket. Very unprofessional

dvon0605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a known issue where the impeller of my reef octopus xp5000 cracked and swelled up but because I could not find my receipt they said they would not do anything for me despite my pump still being under warranty

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are still under warranty but the customer service rep said that because I have had pumps go out before I have to send my units in. She also said that if I want a new pump then just go buy one and closed the trouble ticket. Very unprofessional
I also had a known issue where the impeller of my reef octopus xp5000 cracked and swelled up but because I could not find my receipt they said they would not do anything for me despite my pump still being under warranty

If you don't mind, could you send me a private message with your ticket #'s for these cases? Or maybe the email address you used to contact support? I would be happy to take a closer look at what occurred, to whom you spoke with, etc. Thank you for your candor.

OP
OP
Barnabie Mejia

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread should just be called "the importance of keeping receipts". I for one am terrible at doing that

Right?! From now on I will be keeping them all!!!

the replacement parts got shipped out today!
so stoked to not have to add cups of water and keep it stable....

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 46 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back