AutoAqua Smart AWC Duo

  • Thread starter Thread starter JayM
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JayM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 8, 2023
Messages
2,172
Reaction score
3,162
Location
Inland Empire
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ready to take the automatic water change plunge, but I want to verify that the AutoAqua won't work before I disregard it.
The way I understand it, the above mentioned unit pumps water out of the tank until it hits the low level sensor, then shuts off the waste pump, turns on the fill pump until it hits the high level sensor, then shuts off. Simple.

But the confusion comes in when using on DT that utilizes a sump. The water level in the sump isn't going to get to the low sensor until after the DT level is below the lowest drain pipe, and then the sump level will begin to drop. Unless I'm missing something, this particular AWC cannot be used for small daily changes if you're running a sump unless you shut off the drain and the return while the water change is taking place (which kinda defeats the purpose of an AWC).

Am I right? Or I am I stupid and completely glossing over something?

The Kamoer X2SR is on the list as well, but $500 bucks for a product that uses a buggy app is kinda worrisome.
Any other options out there that are reasonable? DIY?
 
I've only used the Ecotech's Versa for auto water changes. Zero noise with extremely accurate results. I've seen them go for $150 used each. You won't look back
 
I've only used the Ecotech's Versa for auto water changes. Zero noise with extremely accurate results. I've seen them go for $150 used each. You won't look back
I’m considering dual versa or the autoAqua. Are you running the versa via smart outlet scheduling for a fixed duration instead of using level sensors?
 
Hello, @JayM

Both our AWCs are suitable for the tank which is with the sump, the down sensor shouldn't be installed lower than your return pump, otherwise it might blow the air to your tank when AWC is progressing, thought the amount of water changed each time is the same, but you can control the time gap between each AWC progress, happy reefing!
 
I'm ready to take the automatic water change plunge, but I want to verify that the AutoAqua won't work before I disregard it.
The way I understand it, the above mentioned unit pumps water out of the tank until it hits the low level sensor, then shuts off the waste pump, turns on the fill pump until it hits the high level sensor, then shuts off. Simple.

But the confusion comes in when using on DT that utilizes a sump. The water level in the sump isn't going to get to the low sensor until after the DT level is below the lowest drain pipe, and then the sump level will begin to drop. Unless I'm missing something, this particular AWC cannot be used for small daily changes if you're running a sump unless you shut off the drain and the return while the water change is taking place (which kinda defeats the purpose of an AWC).

Am I right? Or I am I stupid and completely glossing over something?

The Kamoer X2SR is on the list as well, but $500 bucks for a product that uses a buggy app is kinda worrisome.
Any other options out there that are reasonable? DIY?
If you pump water out of the sump, the sump level will drop. That's how an ATO knows how much to top up.

The Autoaqua includes the ATO which is automatically disabled during AWC operation.

It disables the ATO, then pumps water out of the sump until it reaches the lower level, then tops up with salt water to the upper level - then it re enables the ATO function.

So it works fine as long as you do not have any other APEX or other function that turns off your return pump during an AWC operation.
 
I know this thread is a little old but I’ve been trying to find one of these systems online and everyone is out of stock. Have they been discontinued?
 
They may be available at other places but aquacave came up first in a search. I've purchased from them several times with no complaints.
I recently purchased the x2sr and I have to say I absolutely love it.. Yes the app is a little quirky but once you get it set up it works flawlessly. I have been doing 10 gallon water changes on my 240 gallon Cade system and it performs flawlessly.

For my set up, I had to run plumbing up into the ceiling over about 20 ft and then down the wall to the tank in a separate room, all hidden behind the drywall . I have encountered zero issues thus far, it just gets the job done!

It takes about 28 minutes to get a 10 gallon water change. No more pulling out hoses and pumps , cleaning up water off of the floor or tripping over hoses . The only thing I need to do is make sure that I fill my reservoir with a fresh batch of saltwater.
 
I'm ready to take the automatic water change plunge, but I want to verify that the AutoAqua won't work before I disregard it.
The way I understand it, the above mentioned unit pumps water out of the tank until it hits the low level sensor, then shuts off the waste pump, turns on the fill pump until it hits the high level sensor, then shuts off. Simple.

But the confusion comes in when using on DT that utilizes a sump. The water level in the sump isn't going to get to the low sensor until after the DT level is below the lowest drain pipe, and then the sump level will begin to drop. Unless I'm missing something, this particular AWC cannot be used for small daily changes if you're running a sump unless you shut off the drain and the return while the water change is taking place (which kinda defeats the purpose of an AWC).

Am I right? Or I am I stupid and completely glossing over something?

The Kamoer X2SR is on the list as well, but $500 bucks for a product that uses a buggy app is kinda worrisome.
Any other options out there that are reasonable? DIY?
Maybe take a look at these DIY plans?

https://aquahub.com/diygaquarium/

High quality parts there too.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new