Autofeeder for frozen mysis

e-sully

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of my setup. The non-contact level sensor is loosely zip-tied to the container. Its red LED indicates there is liquid at that level. The airline tubing is connecting to the top, back right corner to a tube that extends to the bottom of the container. I have the refrigerator set at about 40 deg F (4 deg C). It's a little higher int he photo since i just opened the door. You can see the stir plate power cable, the level sensor wiring and the airline tubing coming in through the hole I drilled in the side.

You can see some mysis coming out of the airline tubing (the puffer looks like's he's about to eat it but is actually far away and is much larger than that).

20230728_151312.jpg 20230729_065522.jpg 20230729_070951.jpg

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ok thought that the dosing tubes wont be wide enough! By any chance do you have a copperband? As thats the fish which worries me the most
How much time before you leave for vacation? What's your pod population like? Though I'd love a frozen food auto feeder, the faster/ easier solution may be dosing phytoplankton to increase pods, which will hold cbb over until you get back.

OP
OP
B

Bent17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of my setup. The non-contact level sensor is loosely zip-tied to the container. Its red LED indicates there is liquid at that level. The airline tubing is connecting to the top, back right corner to a tube that extends to the bottom of the container. I have the refrigerator set at about 40 deg F (4 deg C). It's a little higher int he photo since i just opened the door. You can see the stir plate power cable, the level sensor wiring and the airline tubing coming in through the hole I drilled in the side.

You can see some mysis coming out of the airline tubing (the puffer looks like's he's about to eat it but is actually far away and is much larger than that).

20230728_151312.jpg 20230729_065522.jpg 20230729_070951.jpg
What dosing pump are you using and do you flush it every time its used?

OP
OP
B

Bent17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much time before you leave for vacation? What's your pod population like? Though I'd love a frozen food auto feeder, the faster/ easier solution may be dosing phytoplankton to increase pods, which will hold cbb over until you get back.
I am leaving in December but want to obviously have something bullet proof by that time. I add pods once a month but not as much phyto as I want. What do you recommend to have a good population? people say you should see them on your glass - I never do

e-sully

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dosing pump are you using and do you flush it every time its used?
This is with a Neptune DOS and, yes, it is flushed every time. See post #9 above:

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found both the versa and dos too narrow for PE Mysis. I’m using a 400ml/min kamoer doser I found on Amazon. I had to wire it myself and the coding on it is not the simplest but it’s done great for me being gone a couple weeks a month.

I have a stir plate in my mini fridge but I rarely use it, the mysis naturally sinks and my take up tube is pretty huge

OP
OP
B

Bent17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found both the versa and dos too narrow for PE Mysis. I’m using a 400ml/min kamoer doser I found on Amazon. I had to wire it myself and the coding on it is not the simplest but it’s done great for me being gone a couple weeks a month.

I have a stir plate in my mini fridge but I rarely use it, the mysis naturally sinks and my take up tube is pretty huge
Do you have photos of your setup and whats the model of your dose?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am leaving in December but want to obviously have something bullet proof by that time. I add pods once a month but not as much phyto as I want. What do you recommend to have a good population? people say you should see them on your glass - I never do
Look around at night with a flashlight. I never see any on my glass, I assume the fish make sure of it. But at night there are endless amounts crawling around. Feeding heavily is all I do, but phytoplankton will certainly boost population. I would be skeptical of building something then trusting it to feed and not dump too much for 2 weeks unsupervised. I would want to watch it for months(which you still have, I guess) before leaving it on its own

OP
OP
B

Bent17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look around at night with a flashlight. I never see any on my glass, I assume the fish make sure of it. But at night there are endless amounts crawling around. Feeding heavily is all I do, but phytoplankton will certainly boost population. I would be skeptical of building something then trusting it to feed and not dump too much for 2 weeks unsupervised. I would want to watch it for months(which you still have, I guess) before leaving it on its own
Wil keep feeding pods and phyto for now. Thats why I want to start now as ample time till December

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks promising.. any idea when this will be available?
I have followed this start up company for years. They have gone through several prototypes and I thought this would be available by now. They obviously have run into some problems with funding or technical issues. If they can get a good product out to market, they will sell a lot of units.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back