Frozen Food - storing thawed

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I defrosted one of them frozen mysis shrimp cubes in a small plastic container, and can't feed it to the fish all at once - I put a plastic wrap over it and put it in the fridge. Does anyone have any idea how long it can store in the fridge?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I defrosted one of them frozen mysis shrimp cubes in a small plastic container, and can't feed it to the fish all at once - I put a plastic wrap over it and put it in the fridge. Does anyone have any idea how long it can store in the fridge?
Don't know exactly how long, though my LFS does a similar thing, they make a mixture, store it in a condiment bottle in the fridge and feed it throughout the week, i think it lasts about a week

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I keep mine in a closed container and treat it as real seafood like I would eat and that would be 3-4 days.

I usually break off a chunk of LRS enough for 3-4 days and unthaw it and feed and then store that way. I try to waste as little as possible

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rule of thumb with frozen seafood for human consumption is 3 days from frozen and 2 days from thawed. Not sure how fish handle the possibility of bacterial growth on thawed food especially when it's probably been thawed and refrozen 3 times before you got it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back