Automatic topoff to ATO topoff?

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m sure the question has been asked before but I can’t find much in the search engine.

I have a 15gl RODI reservoir for my 525xl and would like to avoid rolling a brute trash can through my house from the garage multiple times a week (WC & topoff).
Not much I can do about WC unless I go auto WC (which I don’t want to do).

Anyone have some type of contraption that fills up ATO reservoir from RODI overstock?

I’m hoping for some type of booster pump that can push/pull from a brute can without the RODI system connected? I plan to add an emergency exit in the event of a float switch going bad.

I do have the Tunze switch socket outlet 3150.110 to connect to 3155 ATO and a pump of my choice, I just hesitate due to the amount of water that “could” if something were to fail, plus the size emergency drain I would need to do in my floor or wall (which is the icing on the cake).

Thanks!

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a float/ATS for your RODI system that you can install in the brute?
I do have float switches in my brute cans but I don’t want to go through tons of resin and sediment just for rolling a ATO brute can. I want the brute reservoir to fill my 15gl ATO if that makes sense.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have float switches in my brute cans but I don’t want to go through tons of resin and sediment just for rolling a ATO brute can. I want the brute reservoir to fill my 15gl ATO if that makes sense.
So you want to run a pump from the brute to your 15-gallon RO reservoir then?

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So you want to run a pump from the brute to your 15-gallon RO reservoir then?
Correct.
Ideal is RODI 1/4 tubing, hence the want of a booster pump.
I have the triple DI in my garage where my 40gl brute cans sit and have the crawl access where I would run the brute line through to my foyer (roughly 25’ away).

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar setup with a universal res for like 4 tanks, but I used a combination of the Neptune ATK with their new LLS thing …
Not familiar with Hydros gear but my inclination is to say “yes”

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a similar setup with a universal res for like 4 tanks, but I used a combination of the Neptune ATK with their new LLS thing …
Not familiar with Hydros gear but my inclination is to say “yes”
Universal res? Not familiar with that, what is it exactly?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Universal res? Not familiar with that, what is it exactly?
“Universal” = common …in other words I had one large res feeding several tanks. I refilled the Res with a RO and a LLS, float switches, optical switches and solenoids…all controlled by a Apex …..I’ll spare you the boring details…
pardon the spelling. I can’t spell reservoir and Apples spell checker is absolute crap i.e. “no replacements found”

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
“Universal” = common …in other words I had one large res feeding several tanks. I refilled the Res with a RO and a LLS, float switches, optical switches and solenoids…all controlled by a Apex …..I’ll spare you the boring details…
pardon the spelling. I can’t spell reservoir and Apples spell checker is absolute crap i.e. “no replacements found”
Res as in RODI resin but a universal resin? The abbreviation of res is what I’m not familiar with.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're getting plenty of feedback and suggestions.

I do something similar, but accomplished with an apex.

I fill a 55g drum with rodi water? That gets filled either based on day of week or if it gets too low it triggers the rodi unit to kick on. I'm also concerned with tds creep so I try to minimize when the rodi unit kicks on and off. The 55g drum has a level sensor, a float switch and a float valve for triple redundancy to prevent a flood.

Then I have a 10 gallon rodi water reservoir next to the tank and it has a float switch at the top to tell apex when it's full. Then twice a day I have a bilge pump push water from the 55g drum to the 10g reservoir next to the tank. I have a 300g display so it needs to be filled twice a day.

This set up has saved me many times when the ato gets stuck on for what ever reason it only pumps what ever is left in the 10g reservoir rather than 55g.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back