Automation ideas

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm still working from home w/no set return date, but have been thinking ahead about how to manage my reef when the firm I work for has us back in the office. For now I'm dosing by hand and checking in/doing maintenance throughout the day when I have a sec to take a break from work. I'd also like to be able to take a vacation, or even just go visit family in another state for a few days at the very least this summer, so I'd like to get more serious about automation now.

I have a Red Sea Max Nano -- 20g AIO. It's a small tank, and since I've been home this whole time, I've opted to run it exactly as it came w/o any upgrades. I even still use the ATO reservoir it came with, which I have to refill pretty much every night before going to bed. I dose a small amount of All For Reef daily, as well as NoPox. The system is coming up on a year of operation and things are running pretty smoothly. I'm really happy w/it and am certain I want to stick w/the hobby.

I'm looking into upgrading to an automated ATO, and automated dosing so the system can run w/o me refilling the reservoir every night and hand dosing every day, and I have been window-shopping and thinking about what to get for those for a few months. I'd like whatever I purchase to be able to work with an AIO tank but be able to grow with me when I upgrade the tank eventually. Now I'm starting to consider the Hydros controller.

I have no immediate plans to upgrade my tank, but I know that I do want to upgrade at some point. If I stay in my current apartment or rent a new apt, that will mean an upgrade to a 30-40g with a true sump. If I move to a house then an upgrade could mean a much larger system.

If you've read through all that, thank you! I'm seeking advice from other reefers, and would specifically like to know others' thoughts on the Hydros, and automation for nano tanks.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have the same tank as you and needed some automation for work or vacations. The two most solid pieces of equipment to get you there are a controller and a alkalinity monitor. You can get by with a controller and a dosing pump depending on your livestock and alk consumption. But being able to have notifications from controller and alk monitor are priceless.

Expensive, but worth it in the long run are Apex or hydros and Alkatronic by focustronic. Incredible machine and algorithm to keep alk rock solid. I tried the Neptune Trident and ultimately wasn’t happy. Going back to Alkatronic. Hth’s

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank as you and needed some automation for work or vacations. The two most solid pieces of equipment to get you there are a controller and a alkalinity monitor. You can get by with a controller and a dosing pump depending on your livestock and alk consumption. But being able to have notifications from controller and alk monitor are priceless.

Expensive, but worth it in the long run are Apex or hydros and Alkatronic by focustronic. Incredible machine and algorithm to keep alk rock solid. I tried the Neptune Trident and ultimately wasn’t happy. Going back to Alkatronic. Hth’s
Thanks for this. I'm used to hearing ppl tell me to just hand dose and I don't need a controller, but the more I think about living an actual life, the more it seems inevitable that I'll want to make these upgrades. The Apex is too rich for me, but something like the Hydros would be very doable.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm still working from home w/no set return date, but have been thinking ahead about how to manage my reef when the firm I work for has us back in the office. For now I'm dosing by hand and checking in/doing maintenance throughout the day when I have a sec to take a break from work. I'd also like to be able to take a vacation, or even just go visit family in another state for a few days at the very least this summer, so I'd like to get more serious about automation now.

I have a Red Sea Max Nano -- 20g AIO. It's a small tank, and since I've been home this whole time, I've opted to run it exactly as it came w/o any upgrades. I even still use the ATO reservoir it came with, which I have to refill pretty much every night before going to bed. I dose a small amount of All For Reef daily, as well as NoPox. The system is coming up on a year of operation and things are running pretty smoothly. I'm really happy w/it and am certain I want to stick w/the hobby.

I'm looking into upgrading to an automated ATO, and automated dosing so the system can run w/o me refilling the reservoir every night and hand dosing every day, and I have been window-shopping and thinking about what to get for those for a few months. I'd like whatever I purchase to be able to work with an AIO tank but be able to grow with me when I upgrade the tank eventually. Now I'm starting to consider the Hydros controller.

I have no immediate plans to upgrade my tank, but I know that I do want to upgrade at some point. If I stay in my current apartment or rent a new apt, that will mean an upgrade to a 30-40g with a true sump. If I move to a house then an upgrade could mean a much larger system.

If you've read through all that, thank you! I'm seeking advice from other reefers, and would specifically like to know others' thoughts on the Hydros, and automation for nano tanks.
I use two Jebao, DP four head dosers to handle this task, fill monthly.
I use a brute bucket for ATO, this would last 2 weeks.
I use a auto feeder for lunch…just flake and pellet, good for a month.
I protect my temp by using a Wifi Inkbird 306
I have a Wifi Camera on my DT and Sump.
My skimmer has a tube out to waste, so it doesn’t overflow.
My ATO is plugged into a mult-timer to prevent, overflow.
I can remotely turn the power to return and skimmer off.

I “practice” by filling everything, doing a water change, then trying to leave it untouched for 2 weeks.

Maybe something in that rank may help you. 8F152781-83A4-45A1-9EC1-1DE5510A221C.jpeg 3C88836E-7ED3-4B8E-8814-7778681B198C.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A controller isn't needed at all here.

Just a simple, better ATO like the tunze will fit the bill perfectly. As far as dosing goes a simple programmable timer and BRS 1.1ml a minute dosing pumps would suffice. Safe and simple, yet effective.

Now if you wanted to tinker, and like shiny toys, then by all means get a controller. I have an apex, and after getting it many years ago, I couldn't imagine running a tank without one.

But ultimately the choice is yours. Either go the easy and cheap route, or go with a more epensive full blown controller route. There are pro's and cons to both sides.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A controller isn't needed at all here.

Just a simple, better ATO like the tunze will fit the bill perfectly. As far as dosing goes a simple programmable timer and BRS 1.1ml a minute dosing pumps would suffice. Safe and simple, yet effective.

Now if you wanted to tinker, and like shiny toys, then by all means get a controller. I have an apex, and after getting it many years ago, I couldn't imagine running a tank without one.

But ultimately the choice is yours. Either go the easy and cheap route, or go with a more epensive full blown controller route. There are pro's and cons to both sides.
yes, everyone tells me you don't need one, so I'm covered on that opinion lol.

I was actually thinking of starting with exactly what you listed first, and then moving up from there. But if I think I really do want the Hydros I'd rather plan for that instead of buying cheap stuff I'll ultimately want to upgrade again.

Edit: I guess more than anything I want to make my life as easy as possible w/what I choose. Rn I'm afraid to leave my tank and I'm like this isn't sustainable.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then do the tunze ATO, and I personally would use a BRS dosing pump with programmable timer(I would probably do a smart plug this day and age). I did it that way for many years. It allows you away time from the tank. With a big enough reservoir, for both the ATO and 2 part, I could leave my tank hands off for 2 weeks at a time to go on vaca.

All a controller allows me to do over another solution(like above) is to allow me to monitor, and the ability to shut things off if the need arises while away from the tank.

BRS dosing pumps:
2 of these can handle ALk and CAL, and it will only set you back about $120 bucks. They are very reliable, and you can probably find them in the used section for very cheap.

Great way to "automate" the daily tasks of dosing without breaking the bank if you decide to upgrade later down the road.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd the BRS dosers & Tunze ATO. There is no mention of a RO unit though.
One other thing would be a controller for the heater, I say Ranco over Inkbird.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 tanks (180g and 200g) without a controller - with Jebao 3 pump doser and Tunz ATO. Thinking of going with an Apex at some point but it's not necessary. My main worry now is some malfunction with the heater (either turning off or going haywire and frying the tank) - so will either get a app based heater controller with notifications or bite the bullet and get an Apex and jump over to the dark side LOL

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd the BRS dosers & Tunze ATO. There is no mention of a RO unit though.
One other thing would be a controller for the heater, I say Ranco over Inkbird.
Sorry, do you mean you don't know if I use RO water? I do, of course, and have a unit to make my water.

Also forgot to mention that I have an Inkbird for my heater rn. The most important things I need to make me feel comfortable leaving would be upgrading the little ATO that comes w/the Max Nano, and automated dosing.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 tanks (180g and 200g) without a controller - with Jebao 3 pump doser and Tunz ATO. Thinking of going with an Apex at some point but it's not necessary. My main worry now is some malfunction with the heater (either turning off or going haywire and frying the tank) - so will either get a app based heater controller with notifications or bite the bullet and get an Apex and jump over to the dark side LOL
Yes, I was just thinking about this when posting my last reply. I have an Inkbird but it's not app-based. I use these Oase heaters that have been uber reliable for me -- use them in my FW so just got the same for the reef when I set it up, so I tend to trust the heater. But honestly going on vacation is like a magnet for some weird issue, esp when it comes to heaters.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Like everyone said above, there are many ways to get this done. For me, being ”away” from home, there is no way to monitor alk uptake or simple health check on equipment without those two pieces of equipment. If you are running a softy tank, water changes and an ato and heater controller are all you need. Once do jump to Sps, parameters are crucial if you are away.

My automation has already paid for itself a couple of times over. In my situation, I’ll never own a tank without the automation I have. I can be away from my tank in the summer time for almost a month. Winter time, about 3 weeks. This is with a 5 gallon Ato reservoir.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my tank is an AIO my sump is on the back of the display. Maybe a dumb Q, but if I use the BRS 2-part dosing pumps I can have those in the stand, correct? I don't want to have to mount them on the wall above the tank...

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are happy with the hobby and looking to upgrade in the future, I'd figure out which controller you like the most and get it now. i think it would be better to learn on with a small tank. If you make a mistake in programming something you would also be at home to catch it most likely since you work there. This would help me build confidence in the controller. Just my 2¢

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
But it's okay to put them in the stand and run the tubes up to the sump on the back of my display?
Yes, no issues. I have run two DOS units and Dosetronic with 5 pump heads. Just purchase a tube holder that mounts to the back of your sump for ~$10. The max nano won’t limit you on the mentioned equipment. I have a Mastertronic, Dosetronic, Alkatronic and Ato routed through the back max nano sump. Why did I go high end on all of my equipment for such a small tank? I know I’ll eventually upgrade tanks and to point out you will have no trouble running extra equipment on a Aio.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, no issues. I have run two DOS units and Dosetronic with 5 pump heads. Just purchase a tube holder that mounts to the back of your sump for ~$10. The max nano won’t limit you on the mentioned equipment. I have a Mastertronic, Dosetronic, Alkatronic and Ato routed through the back max nano sump. Why did I go high end on all of my equipment for such a small tank? I know I’ll eventually upgrade tanks and to point out you will have no trouble running extra equipment on a Aio.
Def want to eventually upgrade, too. But honestly I kind of can't say enough good things about the Max Nano so far -- it has been a great entry level plug and play tank -- I'm about a year in now only just starting to think about automation. It also is a great size for the small space I live in, even w/the stand. I think getting the right stuff for your situation up front can really help to make the initial experience a positive and successful one. I've had a few small normal hiccups along the way this past year, but overall I consider my reef to be a success. I'm excited to go farther now...

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Def want to eventually upgrade, too. But honestly I kind of can't say enough good things about the Max Nano so far -- it has been a great entry level plug and play tank -- I'm about a year in now only just starting to think about automation. It also is a great size for the small space I live in, even w/the stand. I think getting the right stuff for your situation up front can really help to make the initial experience a positive and successful one. I've had a few small normal hiccups along the way this past year, but overall I consider my reef to be a success. I'm excited to go farther now...
I agree with all that you said which is why I haven’t upgraded tanks yet. My max nano is Sps dominant and I love how versatile it is. I recently rescaped it as a floating reef and fell in love with the tank all over again.

Ran out of cabinet space for all of my equipment and was ready to upgrade because of that, but found a beautiful 56” long Ashley furniture stand for a deal I couldn’t pass up. It’s super solid as well and will allow me to setup all of my automation underneath as well as a kalk reactor on the far left cabinet. The cabinet backing had a small crack in it where I needed to drill a hole anyways and he took off a big discount.
E10CE76D-F572-4DE5-A18E-A52FB1229513.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back