Avast K1 Setup... looking for slow consistent flow

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up my K1 Kalk Stirrer. I am feeding the unit with a BRS 1.1 mL/min pump controlled by my apex to only activate for 1 minute, twice an hour. I will eventually pump this up but I am trying to start slow. Anyway, if the pump were pumping directly into the tank, for the minute it's on there would be a steady slow drip, drip, drip... but once I plug the pump outlet into the K1, I end up with a long period of no flow, followed by ~1-2 mL dribbling out at once. Is this normal? I tried with no tubing on the outlet, with an upturned piece of tubing on the outlet, and with the hose barb/union removed from the outlet, but nothing seemed to help. Does anyone else notice this or have a solution to recommend? I was thinking about maybe slightly leaning the unit forwards or backwards but seems like I shouldn't have to do this. My concern is that instead of a steady drip when my pump is activated, sometimes I actually get no kalk dosed during that period and then sometimes I get 1-2 mL dosed at once, which is not what I am going for. I am looking for a way to steadily dose a controlled amount of kalk consistently.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That flow rate is too small for a kalk stirrer. You would need something more like Avast’s peristaltic ATO pump. Or a normal ATO pump that is really consistent.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a brs 50 ml feeding mine and it does the same thing. The pump will run for a coupe seconds before it starts coming out. Brs 1.1 is pretty slow pump. I would just program it to run longer to make up the difference. How long the pump runs doesn't really matter as long as your levels are staying consistent.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a brs 50 ml feeding mine and it does the same thing. The pump will run for a coupe seconds before it starts coming out. Brs 1.1 is pretty slow pump. I would just program it to run longer to make up the difference. How long the pump runs doesn't really matter as long as your levels are staying consistent.

The issue with this is that the BRS 1.1 pump is so slow that it would basically have to run all the time for a medium consumption tank. This will lead to burn out of the pump since it was never made for 100% duty cycle.

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fluid in the reactor has to raise high enough to overflow the outlet. Once it's does it will drain a lot of fluid at once due to capillary action. You must run a tube on the Barb or it will cause the Barb to clog pretty quick .

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 171 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back