Avast kalk reactor + aqua lifter problems

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
So I have a K1 rector, aqualifter on an classic apex and I have had a difficult time getting it working properly. It’s a very basic set up on a 1 minute on per every hour. My issues are as follows...
1. I had the aqualifter on a regular apex plug and even though the plug would turn off, the pump would still somehow be on dumping a large amount of water into the sump. My buddy sugguested that I move the aqualifter to outlet 4.
2. The other issue is even after moving the plug to outlet 4, from time to time, I would have a syphon which again dumps a bunch of water from ato container into the kalk reactor and finally my tank.
I don’t know how to combat this issue although I read in a few places to use a T to break syphon. Not sure exactly where to place it.
Just for info the ato container and sump are approximate on the same level and the aqualifter is slightly above them both. I cannot get the aqua lifter much higher because it’s not powerful enough to pull water from more than 6-12 inches above the waterline for some reason.
Please help.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a check valve but I don't find them very reliable. Raising the aqua lifter is the answer imo. I get a stronger pump, aqua lifters aren't very good little pumps.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other pump do you recommend that is cost controlled? Thanks
I switched to a pmup. Works perfectly for me. I had to do some tests to determine the correct ml I dose vs the seconds I run the pmup but it's fairly accurate.

For the T what I did is the following.
I cut the tubing inside of the reactor near the lid, above the water line. Then I placed a T there which breaks the syphon once the pump stops.
The downside is some of the water goes to the top of the reactor rather than the bottom so your dose is not fully concentrated kalk.
But I rather live with that than with the syphon risk.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to make it so you can not get a syphon. If the output is lower than the water level in the container your drawing from you can have a syphon. You will have a syphon even if the aqua lifter is higher or lower then them.

oceanhighz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
price controlled option would be a peristaltic pump on a timer (aka your apex) BRS 50ml/min pump would probably do it. Not much more than an aqualifter, but you won't have a siphon and you already know what it's going to pump at

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
price controlled option would be a peristaltic pump on a timer (aka your apex) BRS 50ml/min pump would probably do it. Not much more than an aqualifter, but you won't have a siphon and you already know what it's going to pump at
You can still get a siphon, as the tube in the doser gets worn over time, it will no longer seal.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back