Awc setup?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to order a maxi for awc and was wondering what everyone’s setup was like in regards to tubing they use, containers for water, how far they pull and push water as well as what sensors you use for backup whether it is the reservoir sensors or sensors in the tank.. thank you!!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been going through the process of research, build and set up... still waiting on 1 item to test, finish up and get it working.

I am going to be using 2 maxi units to run my AWC and ATO. These processes will be controlled by 3 GHL optical sensors. Waiting on 1 optical sensor, it’s back ordered at GHL USA.

I’ve tested and confirmed that the Maxi pump can pull water direct from my liquid storage containers in my garage. The longest distance is approx 40 feet. The water is pulled up 9 ft, across 23 ft in the attic and down 8 ft to the pump. The pump then pushes another 5 feet to the tank.

I use 1/4” RO type tubing for the entire thing. It connects direct to the Maxi without leakage.

The optical sensors will be mounted to a home made bracket that will be held in the sump return section of my system. The top sensor will control the full function of the ATO and AWC full. The middle sensor is the ATO low and will trigger the pump to add RODI water. The bottom sensor will be the AWC drain stop and trigger the refill.

I will have the sensors for the AWC set so that 3/4 of a gallon will be changed at a time. The system will run the AWC 2 times in a day. The nice thing is my all my pumps can stay running during the water change.

I’m trying to figure out how to add a 4th float type sensor to trigger as a fail safe and keep things from over flowing. In the mean time the timers on the ATO & AWC will get set up as the fail safe.

One thing I have done for the ATO is to test the functions using buckets instead of my tank. It took some trial and error to get working right. Once I get my last sensor I’ll be setting the buckets up again and testing again. I need the system to be flawless before implementing it on my tank.

One of the biggest issues I have to overcome is the GHL programing. There is not much documentation covering running both ATO and AWC set up. Getting the ATO to shut off while the AWC is doing it’s thing, I have to figure that out.

Also, since the system above only needs 3 pumps, the 4th will be used to feed a Kalkwasser solution to my tank. It pulls RODI water and pushes it through a Kalkwasser stirrer.

These are my water storage tanks. You can see the RO tubing. The tall tank is RODI water. The short is mixed salt water.
B46B4880-3F01-46B6-AB97-6B4E76397918.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been going through the process of research, build and set up... still waiting on 1 item to test, finish up and get it working.

I am going to be using 2 maxi units to run my AWC and ATO. These processes will be controlled by 3 GHL optical sensors. Waiting on 1 optical sensor, it’s back ordered at GHL USA.

I’ve tested and confirmed that the Maxi pump can pull water direct from my liquid storage containers in my garage. The longest distance is approx 40 feet. The water is pulled up 9 ft, across 23 ft in the attic and down 8 ft to the pump. The pump then pushes another 5 feet to the tank.

I use 1/4” RO type tubing for the entire thing. It connects direct to the Maxi without leakage.

The optical sensors will be mounted to a home made bracket that will be held in the sump return section of my system. The top sensor will control the full function of the ATO and AWC full. The middle sensor is the ATO low and will trigger the pump to add RODI water. The bottom sensor will be the AWC drain stop and trigger the refill.

I will have the sensors for the AWC set so that 3/4 of a gallon will be changed at a time. The system will run the AWC 2 times in a day. The nice thing is my all my pumps can stay running during the water change.

I’m trying to figure out how to add a 4th float type sensor to trigger as a fail safe and keep things from over flowing. In the mean time the timers on the ATO & AWC will get set up as the fail safe.

One thing I have done for the ATO is to test the functions using buckets instead of my tank. It took some trial and error to get working right. Once I get my last sensor I’ll be setting the buckets up again and testing again. I need the system to be flawless before implementing it on my tank.

One of the biggest issues I have to overcome is the GHL programing. There is not much documentation covering running both ATO and AWC set up. Getting the ATO to shut off while the AWC is doing it’s thing, I have to figure that out.

Also, since the system above only needs 3 pumps, the 4th will be used to feed a Kalkwasser solution to my tank. It pulls RODI water and pushes it through a Kalkwasser stirrer.

These are my water storage tanks. You can see the RO tubing. The tall tank is RODI water. The short is mixed salt water.
thanks for all this!!

I am in a similar situation.. sort of

I plan on using my tunze ato until I can justify buying a second maxi (don’t even have the first yet) and was Planning on not really worrying about sensors and whatnot short of like you said a emergency off switch( water gets too high in sump kill power to whatever made it so high)

I’m hoping to put one maxi hose into my sock section and take x amount of water every x amount of time (haven’t figured out what I intend on doing / how often just yet) and the a line will either run at the same time or say 30 seconds after the first one takes the water out.

I’m hoping that the ato will not trigger but if it does I am not too worried... just more concerned about adding too much salt water / if my containers get full.

I wanted to mount sensors into my reservoirs maybe an inverted optical or float sensor know when to refill as well as one in my dirty saltwater reservoir so I don’t overflow stuff around my stand.

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my AWC running before I changed over to GHL using a double head Stenner peristaltic pump . I have 55 gallon barrels in my laundry where I mix my salt. I have RO tubing run from my laundry room through the walls and ceiling and back down to where my tank is. I have this Stenner pump set to run 3 minutes per hour 6 times a day which is a little more than 1 gallon per day. There are no float switches to configure, just adjust the run time for the amount of water I want to change. The amount of tank water it removes is always the same as is replaced.

I considered changing over to a maxi pump for my AWC, but I think I am going to keep my AWC as is. The only benefit to me would be the maxi pump is probably quieter than the Stenner. My Stenner is currently in my stand and only runs at night but once my back ordered power bar arrives, I will move it into the laundry room.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my AWC running before I changed over to GHL using a double head Stenner peristaltic pump . I have 55 gallon barrels in my laundry where I mix my salt. I have RO tubing run from my laundry room through the walls and ceiling and back down to where my tank is. I have this Stenner pump set to run 3 minutes per hour 6 times a day which is a little more than 1 gallon per day. There are no float switches to configure, just adjust the run time for the amount of water I want to change. The amount of tank water it removes is always the same as is replaced.

I considered changing over to a maxi pump for my AWC, but I think I am going to keep my AWC as is. The only benefit to me would be the maxi pump is probably quieter than the Stenner. My Stenner is currently in my stand and only runs at night but once my back ordered power bar arrives, I will move it into the laundry room.
If I had not already bought the pumps I was considering doing what you did. Honestly your way is so much simpler, I would leave it.

Part of me is still tempted just to set the Maxi pumps on a timer and just remove X amount and add back X amount at the same time. Just like your pump does.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had not already bought the pumps I was considering doing what you did. Honestly your way is so much simpler, I would leave it.

Part of me is still tempted just to set the Maxi pumps on a timer and just remove X amount and add back X amount at the same time. Just like your pump does.
I think that’s exactly what I plan on doing as well.. less hassle as well as less worrying about measuring the same amount and whatnot..

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Maxi for AWC, Doser 2 for Dosing & ATO.

This set up is all ran from the RODI approx. 60 feet in another room, manual activation, but have switches in both the ATO & Saltwater reservoirs to shut off water. as I also have another RODI reservoir in the RODI room. (NYC Condo, so run everything though the crown molding and walls.)

4 - float switches for everything / alarms:

Bottom of ATO & Saltwater reservoirs.
*Tells me when its low and if alarm trips, it shuts down the Maxi and AWC.

ATO function has two floats - , one for high (fill water) & regular ATO function.
one for low (drain water)

ATO shuts off with a simple PL function during AWC.
This gives redundancy, equal AWC amounts, consistency.

I have flooded my house messing with guessing and trying to have pumps just set to timers, pumps will not stay calibrated equally. Sensors are highly recommended.

Saltwater reservoir is just a regular 12G ATO with a mounted IM pump that is triggered using maintenance mode for 45 minutes to mix new salt.

The maxi is below my tank and reservoirs as well.

Best Tubing for GHL products - ZERO issues with air / leaking:

You can defiantly use the Tunze, I did before I acquired all the sensors and pumps, I ended up just disabling the float on the tunze and using the GHL float so everything tied in together. GHL controlling the Tunze Pump only.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

here is a simple PL to shut off the ATO while in AWC. I do use the same sensor for ATO & high Fill water.
Timer 2 is my AWC.

1577816826789.png

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Maxi for AWC, Doser 2 for Dosing & ATO.

This set up is all ran from the RODI approx. 60 feet in another room, manual activation, but have switches in both the ATO & Saltwater reservoirs to shut off water. as I also have another RODI reservoir in the RODI room. (NYC Condo, so run everything though the crown molding and walls.)

4 - float switches for everything / alarms:

Bottom of ATO & Saltwater reservoirs.
*Tells me when its low and if alarm trips, it shuts down the Maxi and AWC.

ATO function has two floats - , one for high (fill water) & regular ATO function.
one for low (drain water)

ATO shuts off with a simple PL function during AWC.
This gives redundancy, equal AWC amounts, consistency.

I have flooded my house messing with guessing and trying to have pumps just set to timers, pumps will not stay calibrated equally. Sensors are highly recommended.

Saltwater reservoir is just a regular 12G ATO with a mounted IM pump that is triggered using maintenance mode for 45 minutes to mix new salt.

The maxi is below my tank and reservoirs as well.

Best Tubing for GHL products - ZERO issues with air / leaking:

You can defiantly use the Tunze, I did before I acquired all the sensors and pumps, I ended up just disabling the float on the tunze and using the GHL float so everything tied in together. GHL controlling the Tunze Pump only.

Can you explain controlling the tunze via GHL? Are you saying just on a timer or as the ato itself?

i intend to get a second maxi down the road but it’s hard to buy it now as I currently have an ato.

What were your settings when you relied on timers?

how do you have your sensors in your reservoirs? Are they on “invert” so when they go down they shut the pump off?

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain controlling the tunze via GHL? Are you saying just on a timer or as the ato itself?
I taped the Tunze float switch closed and plugged the pump it into the power-bar to be controlled via float switch / ato. worked perfectly.
I do not like pumps moving water around my house on timers except the AWC, which goes right out the window behind the tank.

i intend to get a second maxi down the road but it’s hard to buy it now as I currently have an ato.
Id look into a doser in future, you may need one eventually, use the tunze until it dies, or any ATO parasitic pump works with the system.

What were your settings when you relied on timers?
It was with another controller, do not remember, it was a while ago and another tank. two floods later and a new system and controller.

how do you have your sensors in your reservoirs? Are they on “invert” so when they go down they shut the pump off?
I have them set to Leek detection. It automatically inverts them so I don't have to go inverting everything in PL.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually intend on going with a khd and doser setup. If I did that and got the 4 headed doser I could potentially use that as my ato.. I know 2.1 pumps aren’t supposed to move lots of water but I assume ato won’t be as too bad.. wonder if anyone else can weigh in.

good ideas!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually intend on going with a khd and doser setup. If I did that and got the 4 headed doser I could potentially use that as my ato.. I know 2.1 pumps aren’t supposed to move lots of water but I assume ato won’t be as too bad.. wonder if anyone else can weigh in.

good ideas!
You can use the single sensor ATO function with the smaller doser. It will pump not need to pump allot of water per dosing session. Maybe a liter or so.

Honestly it would help to know your tank size and the particulars. Do you have a build thread?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the single sensor ATO function with the smaller doser. It will pump not need to pump allot of water per dosing session. Maybe a liter or so.

Honestly it would help to know your tank size and the particulars. Do you have a build thread?
I do!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 11.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 44 27.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.9%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back