AWC?

tatties

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i was about to pull the trigger on grabbing a neptune DOS to do my AWC. then read that it really beats up the dos and some have just use 2 PMUP from neptune to do it so as not to break their expensive DOS.

what are your thoughts?

I would like to just do 5-10g water changes every week. would i just put a PMUP on the drain side of the sump to grab dirty water and move to a 5g bucket, and then another PMUP into my return side of sump to add new SW from my other 5g bucket and press go?

how do you all do it?

thanks

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DOS has been doing 1.5 gallons per day auto water changes for 10 months straight with no problems. On the other hand, I've gone through 4 PMUPs that have seized up just pumping ATO and running my refugium. I have way more confidence in the DOS than the PMUPs.

OP
OP
tatties

tatties

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DOS has been doing 1.5 gallons per day auto water changes for 10 months straight with no problems. On the other hand, I've gone through 4 PMUPs that have seized up just pumping ATO and running my refugium. I have way more confidence in the DOS than the PMUPs.
very good to know. would i need two dos's then? 1 for my dosing, and one for my awc? i havent received them yet...

or would i just pull the airlines and put them in their respective areas in sump? wouldnt i need to prime them to dose then tho?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very good to know. would i need two dos's then? 1 for my dosing, and one for my awc? i havent received them yet...

or would i just pull the airlines and put them in their respective areas in sump? wouldnt i need to prime them to dose then tho?

I use separate DOS units for AWC and dosing. It's not practical to move the tubing and reprogram the DOS to use a single unit for both purposes.

OP
OP
tatties

tatties

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use separate DOS units for AWC and dosing. It's not practical to move the tubing and reprogram the DOS to use a single unit for both purposes.
i guess that comes down to is that $300 worth it. man this hobby...

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using BRS 50 ml/min pumps for my AWC. The third one in the picture is for adding RODI back to my ato container (I use a tunze to actually perform the top off)

df7b0b400f1de5459af593e8ed3685b4.jpg

I am torn though as I have two DOS’s and I’m considering using one for AWC and then use BRS dosers for my nutrient dosing (I have a pair of 1.1 ml/min as well)

OP
OP
tatties

tatties

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using BRS 50 ml/min pumps for my AWC. The third one in the picture is for adding RODI back to my ato container (I use a tunze to actually perform the top off)

df7b0b400f1de5459af593e8ed3685b4.jpg

I am torn though as I have two DOS’s and I’m considering using one for AWC and then use BRS dosers for my nutrient dosing (I have a pair of 1.1 ml/min as well)
why do you have two dos? what are they being used for now?

how long have you had those 50ml/min brs dosers going for? any issues?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guess that comes down to is that $300 worth it. man this hobby...

For me, I like having everything controlled by one platform. You can definitely get by with cheaper options, but if you want to do any programming changes or have different components coordinated with each other, it's more difficult if they are not all controlled by the same system. I chose to go the Apex route and have 100% of my aquarium components controlled by the Apex, so that's the only place I need to go to check status or make changes.

OP
OP
tatties

tatties

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I like having everything controlled by one platform. You can definitely get by with cheaper options, but if you want to do any programming changes or have different components coordinated with each other, it's more difficult if they are not all controlled by the same system. I chose to go the Apex route and have 100% of my aquarium components controlled by the Apex, so that's the only place I need to go to check status or make changes.
that makes perfect sense. i will be there too....just have a tunze ATO instead of the neptune ATK.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why do you have two dos? what are they being used for now?

how long have you had those 50ml/min brs dosers going for? any issues?

The 4 heads on the 2 DOS’s are for Alkalinity 2 part, Calcium 2 part, KNO3 (nitrate) and KH4PO3 (phosphate)

The BRS dosers only run for an hr or so a day. They have done water changes for about 6 months but I got them used so I’m sure they had more time than that on them

If you look above the BRS dosers in my pic you will see a Neptune EB4 that runs them so I get the Benefit of having them tied in with everything else

428f0736c4a1f99d4ff9190b867c878f.jpg

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by BRS that those dosers wouldn't put up with an AWC.

I am glad to know they will. If what I am working on doesn't work out, I may go that way.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i was about to pull the trigger on grabbing a neptune DOS to do my AWC. then read that it really beats up the dos and some have just use 2 PMUP from neptune to do it so as not to break their expensive DOS.

what are your thoughts?

I would like to just do 5-10g water changes every week. would i just put a PMUP on the drain side of the sump to grab dirty water and move to a 5g bucket, and then another PMUP into my return side of sump to add new SW from my other 5g bucket and press go?

how do you all do it?

thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@tatties - I use GHL 's @MaxiSA dosing pump thats (Blk) for my Automatic water changes since i have it connected to my saltwater mixing station:
I use the BRS dosing pump 1.1ML PER MIN for my KALK Reactor and they do work great no questions ask but this dosing pump is probably one of the better stepper motor pumps you're going to find out there. Whats awesome about this dosing pump for AWC's. The MaxiSA dosing pump is suitable for moving approximately 16,000 Liters (4,226 gal) of water.
black_ghl_500x500_1_2.jpg

My Saltwater Mixing station I have my Dosing pump connected to for Continuously large water changes

50 gallon Mixing station / a 6 stage RODI w/ a dual membrane and a booster pump.
47572483_1420607961407515_7548632132000677888_o.jpg

Last edited:

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by BRS that those dosers wouldn't put up with an AWC.

I am glad to know they will. If what I am working on doesn't work out, I may go that way.

My system is small so I don’t change a lot of water. Those pumps are less than a gallon an hr (3 liters to be exact) so if you need to move a lot of water there are better options.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change 50 gallons every two weeks with my DoS - running fine for almost a year now. I will need to replace the heads at some point though.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have and SCA 150 currently being installed but when I ran my 120 mixed reef I pulled out around 3,577ml per day which equals a little less then a gallon!
All depends on how bid your tank is @dantimdad

d0m1n4t3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using 2 PMUP's for water changes. I'm doing pretty infrequent changes, so i don't mind keeping an eye on it while running, but i haven't had any real issues with it so far. In my configuration, my drain goes faster than fill (less head pressure, i guess), so i have the apex programs set to run the drain less time than the fill, and i defer the drain a couple minutes so it doesn't run the sump level too low.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The Brs units seem to accomplish this task well

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 64 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.0%
Back